Those Accepted Without Their Degree

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RSX JDM Integra

DMD, MS
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious as to see how many of you have gotten accepted to Dental schools with the pre-requisites done and a bit more.

If you could, please indicate which school you got accepted to, what your current CUM / Science GPA was at the time, and what your DAT scores were.

I'm still confused as to whether or not I want to do Optometry or Dental. Both fields require nearly the same pre-requisites so I do not see why I shouldn't try to see where my interest lies, although I have shadowed with both.

I currently have a 3.0 CUM GPA and a 2.9 Science GPA in which I must use forgiveness policy to retake the D+ from Organic Chemistry. Does anybody think I can still make it to Dental school? I mean the answer isn't going to be an obvious yes or no, but if people have been accepted with a GPA around 3.0-3.3 then it gives me hope, which is what keeps me doing what I need to do to get in.

Thanks for your time!

Members don't see this ad.

I have heard of people all the time who get in with 3.0-3.3 GPAs. I'm not sure if they have gotten in without a degree though. From what I understand, the students who get accepted without a degree have outstanding GPAs and DAT scores. UTHSCSA has a 3+4 early admission program where students get accepted before they get their degree. The credentials for programs like these vary, but UTHSCSA requires that the students maintain 3.4 cumulative and 3.4 science and meet a minimum 18AA on the DAT. I also know of a student who got accepted this year without a degree... she had a 3.7+ GPA and a 20AA on the DAT. I'm not saying it can't be done, but it wouldn't hurt to go ahead and take some additional science electives, retake any courses you might have received a low grade in, and finish your degree. This should raise your GPA. Unfortunately, I do not know what optometry schools look for. Work hard and don't give up! Good luck!

Check with schools for a definitive answer because they may vary in their requirements.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have heard of people all the time who get in with 3.0-3.3 GPAs. I'm not sure if they have gotten in without a degree though. From what I understand, the students who get accepted without a degree have outstanding GPAs and DAT scores. UTHSCSA has a 3+4 early admission program where students get accepted before they get their degree. The credentials for programs like these vary, but UTHSCSA requires that the students maintain 3.4 cumulative and 3.4 science and meet a minimum 18AA on the DAT. I also know of a student who got accepted this year without a degree... she had a 3.7+ GPA and a 20AA on the DAT. I'm not saying it can't be done, but it wouldn't hurt to go ahead and take some additional science electives, retake any courses you might have received a low grade in, and finish your degree. This should raise your GPA. Unfortunately, I do not know what optometry schools look for. Work hard and don't give up! Good luck!
:oops:if I had that kind of GPA I would definitely opt for Medical school. lol. not saying dental / optometry / osteopathic / pharm , ect. is a bad choice or an alternative, but I do like any field within the medicine branch. That is why Dentistry and Optometry are one of my main tracks for now. I want to attend Nova or UF since it is in-state and chances of getting accepted within the state are likely compared to those out-of-state. but yes, those are definitely high GPAs and DAT scores.

my question is, should I retake courses I got C's in? or ones below C? If you mean classes below the "C" range then I only have to retake Organic Chemistry I.
Check with schools for a definitive answer because they may vary in their requirements.
will do. should I just call and verify this or would it look more professional to actually come and meet with them if they are local?

I think more often then not you'll see this type of thing in schools that have a joint BS/DMD or DDS degree....you'll see more people who dont have a degree in dschool..they take a couple years of pre-reqs and if they meet the requirements...they can get in. Doing that randomly though doesnt happen often...but it does happen.

from my understanding, it is nearly impossible to get accept without a BS/BA degree nowadays because there are alot of over qulify applicants out there.

in fact, there is a huge increase of applicants with advance degrees (people who has to apply 2nd, or 3rd time to get in.)

btw, in the dental school application they just average your repeat class with your old grades. they do not over write.

I am just now finishing up my 2nd year of undergrad, and was still accepted to d-school for the fall. It is possible, but the other areas of your application have to be outstanding.

My situation:
AA: 20
GPA: 3.91
Experience: Worked full time for last 13 years in a dental office, and am now the office manager

I am just now finishing up my 2nd year of undergrad, and was still accepted to d-school for the fall. It is possible, but the other areas of your application have to be outstanding.

My situation:
Experience: Worked full time for last 13 years in a dental office, and am now the office manager
I hope you won't mind if I ask if you are a mature student, since you have 13 years of experince. I'm turning 20 this April and have no experince working in the healtth industry (though I've volunteered in hospitals), do you think I might have a chance to apply to Dent b4 completeing my BSc? I think I know the answer to this question, but I guess it doesn't hurt to ask :oops:

My situation:

Hey if you dont mind me askin...which school are you going to? It says you're from Michigan...are you going to UM? UDM? or elsewhere?

Getting in without the degree is not easy if you order the ADEA book 45th ed. from their site it will give you all the stats about what the credentials of all the students accepted were. I know most accepted without a degree have either gotten into a program out of high school where they are guarnteed admittance as long as they keep a certain gpa (probably above 3.5) and have DAT score competitive with the incomming class. The others who have gotten admittance without a degree usually have outstaind number GPA above 3.8 and DAT 21 and above and probably something unique about their application. As for the majority of student matriculating into d-school they have a degree and have a GPA above 3.4. My advice to you would be to get your GPA up in your remaining semesters of Undergrad get your degree and do as best you can on the DAT. Good Luck

I hope you won't mind if I ask if you are a mature student, since you have 13 years of experince. I'm turning 20 this April and have no experince working in the healtth industry (though I've volunteered in hospitals), do you think I might have a chance to apply to Dent b4 completeing my BSc? I think I know the answer to this question, but I guess it doesn't hurt to ask :oops:

I think that for me the "old and mature student" issue was partly a factor in my getting in so early. (I'm 32.) I know of two other people who applied to the same school I'll be going to and they didn't even get an interview. Their dat scores were about the same as mine, and I think their gpa's were in the 3.5 range. Each of them had about 2-3 years experience working in a dental office as well, but they were 19 and 20 years old.

If I were you, I'd go with the other posters' advice and try to bring up my gpa. Getting some actual time in a dental office would be good too. Something else to think about is that most d-schools require at least 3 years of undergrad credits, and some require that BSc. If you want to apply with only 2 years of credits under your belt, you're automatically limiting the d-schools you can actually apply to. Hope this helps you!

Hey if you dont mind me askin...which school are you going to? It says you're from Michigan...are you going to UM? UDM? or elsewhere?

UM told me that if you don't have a BSc, they want you to take only the minimum science classes, and get the rest of your 60 credits in the humanities, fine arts, computer/business classes, etc. UDM told me that if you don't have a BSc, they want you to take as many science classes as possible. (Yet one more example of why one school isn't right for everyone.)

After my freshmen year, I made the decision to take classes during my sophomore year (this year) that would make me more appealing to UDM. It worked, so I'll be at UDM in the fall. (I still have to pass physics this semester, but that shouldn't be a problem.)

I think I read somewhere that you're thinking about UDM too. Did you make a decision yet?

UM told me that if you don't have a BSc, they want you to take only the minimum science classes, and get the rest of your 60 credits in the humanities, fine arts, computer/business classes, etc. UDM told me that if you don't have a BSc, they want you to take as many science classes as possible. (Yet one more example of why one school isn't right for everyone.)

After my freshmen year, I made the decision to take classes during my sophomore year (this year) that would make me more appealing to UDM. It worked, so I'll be at UDM in the fall. (I still have to pass physics this semester, but that shouldn't be a problem.)

I think I read somewhere that you're thinking about UDM too. Did you make a decision yet?

Yea I'm going to UDM.. I'll probably be headed up there sometime in July to look for a place to live. I've got some ideas as to where but I still have to check them out. UDM is a good school and I think everyone going will enjoy it. I think it's great that you're going to dschool. If i were you, I'd bail on the "old" studnet part and just stick w/ "mature":laugh: b/c you are definitely NOT old in dental student years, or in any years for that matter. A couple years ago, and I think you probably konw this, the age range was 20 -51. And i think that UDM's suggestion about taking as many science courses if u apply early was better than UM's...considering the first coupe of years of dschool are like shooting for a super-advanced undergrad degree in biology. Good decision on UDM..and I guess i'll be seeing you come august!