Those who did not match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sea777

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Those who did not match in GI this time what is your plan going forward besides more research? Hospitalist? Nutrition or Hepatology fellowship?
Are there any other back routes that people take for GI?

Members don't see this ad.

depends on how many IVs you got, whether you need visa, research exp, etc. Of the ones listed, hospitalist is the least preferred if you want to match in 1-2 years. hospitalist is a good 3 year plan to join academic place, build CV and then apply.

Reactions: 1 user
depends on how many IVs you got, whether you need visa, research exp, etc. Of the ones listed, hospitalist is the least preferred if you want to match in 1-2 years. hospitalist is a good 3 year plan to join academic place, build CV and then apply.
Thanks for your reply. Do people use obesity medicine as a back route?

Members don't see this ad :)
Those who did not match in GI this time what is your plan going forward besides more research? Hospitalist? Nutrition or Hepatology fellowship?
Are there any other back routes that people take for GII thi

Are there any other back routes that people take for GI?
Hepatology and nutrition fellowships are beaten up paths. Try to find a job in a hospital that has a GI fellowship program and work with them in research, etc. They'll take you if you are as good as their fellows. PDs like familiar candidates than unknowns as one bad apple makes life's hell for everyone.

Hepatology and nutrition fellowships are beaten up paths. Try to find a job in a hospital that has a GI fellowship program and work with them in research, etc. They'll take you if you are as good as their fellows. PDs like familiar candidates than unknowns as one bad apple makes life's hell for everyone.
yeah how 'guaranteed' these non-ACGME fellowships help you, is still unclear. I personally think hospitalist is better, but dont have data to prove it. you make more money, and aren't viewed by programs as someone who's 'desperate'.

yeah how 'guaranteed' these non-ACGME fellowships help you, is still unclear. I personally think hospitalist is better, but dont have data to prove it. you make more money, and aren't viewed by programs as someone who's 'desperate'.
Hospitalists make good money sometimes on par with GI attendings but, I guess they see the value if you are persistent, motivated and doesn't mind putting in the hard yards. Academic hospitalist job is better.

This is tough, have seen all these routes lead people to match- and not match- ultimately it varies person to person to see what is the best fit. I'll add one more to the menu, something else others have said here- doing a Chief Resident year at a program that is not your home program. Have seen this work in a bunch of cases when I thought it wouldn't help.