Those with post bacc experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pietrantonio

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, just another question.

I will be graduating Spring 2015 with my BS degree, but I will still have some premed reqs remaining. I'm assuming from that point on, I will be considered post bacc? I was looking into the post bacc program at my university, and they do not offer FA for post bacc students, and you are charged graduate level tuition rates. At my university that's about ~$200/credit hour.

I'm looking into the CC courses because if I have to pay out of pocket, I can't afford the university rates.

Anyone have any ideas or recommendations with this process? It's new to me, so any advice is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Consider adding a minor that includes the prereqs you need, and postpone graduation. This might add some requirements that you don't want to deal with, maybe seminar classes etc, but keep things in perspective. But for example it would be nearly ideal to finish classes Dec '15, take the MCAT April '16, apply June '16.

Also consider getting a job on campus that gives you tuition, and look for extension programs like Berkeley, UCLA, Harvard.

Also look at your basic timeline for applying and your general readiness. If you're able to save some money on a plan that screws up the schedule, that's dumb. Work backwards such as:
June 2016: submit AMCAS
April 2016: take MCAT
Jan-May 2016: light/no course load to support MCAT prep

Best of luck to you.

Reactions: 2 users
Consider adding a minor that includes the prereqs you need, and postpone graduation. This might add some requirements that you don't want to deal with, maybe seminar classes etc, but keep things in perspective. But for example it would be nearly ideal to finish classes Dec '15, take the MCAT April '16, apply June '16.

Also consider getting a job on campus that gives you tuition, and look for extension programs like Berkeley, UCLA, Harvard.

Also look at your basic timeline for applying and your general readiness. If you're able to save some money on a plan that screws up the schedule, that's dumb. Work backwards such as:
June 2016: submit AMCAS
April 2016: take MCAT
Jan-May 2016: light/no course load to support MCAT prep

Best of luck to you.

Thanks. Looking into the minor option. Not sure if I could meet those deadlines, but I understand what you're saying. My schedule is kind of messed up since I work FT nights. Courses fill up fast, and it makes scheduling more complicated. We shall see what happens. It's been a crazy road so far, but it's definitely something to look back on and appreciate in the end.

Members don't see this ad :)
My pre-reqs were done at a community college years after I graduate from graduate school. It was cheaper and I paid out of pocket.

I was in a similar situation earlier. I graduated with a BA in Philosophy. I've taken none of the pre-reqs and was looking to do a post-bac program only to realize, i may have to drop 30-70k for a two year ordeal. I decided to enroll in reputable community college near my city and am going to take the pre-reqs there and take it one step at a time to make an app for med school.

I would go with DocMidLife. Look into getting a minor that would somehow include the rest of the courses you would need that way your graduation is postponed until you complete the minor and thus able to finish off the pre-reqs ad hoc.

Although, if you do decide to graduate finishing the pre-reqs at a Community College isn't a bad idea either.

Appreciate all the replies. Hopefully I will have an answer this week about whether or not I can add a minor to my studies. If not, the CC route will be the next best option. I'm going to assume that supporting a family by working FT nights is a sufficient reason as to why I went from a 4-year University to a CC.

How many hours do you still need? $200/hr is not bad these days even for a state school. Also, check with your university about the rate. There should be no reason why you would be charged a graduate rate for undergrad level classes. Mine has a "grade-level discrepancy" form that you fill out and give to admissions and you're charged the cheaper rate.

That said, I would also echo the other comments that not filing for graduation is a good bet. I've heard of some people declaring a second major in order to be eligible for financial aid, then taking their pre-req courses and not actually completing that major, but still fulfilling graduation requirements. I'm not sure about the loop-holes on that one, but it's probably worth looking into as well.

How many hours do you still need? $200/hr is not bad these days even for a state school. Also, check with your university about the rate. There should be no reason why you would be charged a graduate rate for undergrad level classes. Mine has a "grade-level discrepancy" form that you fill out and give to admissions and you're charged the cheaper rate.

That said, I would also echo the other comments that not filing for graduation is a good bet. I've heard of some people declaring a second major in order to be eligible for financial aid, then taking their pre-req courses and not actually completing that major, but still fulfilling graduation requirements. I'm not sure about the loop-holes on that one, but it's probably worth looking into as well.

I still have >20 credit hours remaining. Just getting started with the pre-reqs. Should be able to add a minor though. Was told to fill out a form in the advising office and all should be well.

No one's said it yet but I feel it should be noted: if you come from a four year university and then do your prereqs at a cc, some adcoms might notice and it may appear you looked like you were trying to get an easy sgpa.

Some schools probably will never bring it up, but I also started from scratch on my prereqs, and I knew I wouldn't want to spend 2 years at school just to find out I'm looked at differently than traditional applicants. Food for thought

No one's said it yet but I feel it should be noted: if you come from a four year university and then do your prereqs at a cc, some adcoms might notice and it may appear you looked like you were trying to get an easy sgpa.

Some schools probably will never bring it up, but I also started from scratch on my prereqs, and I knew I wouldn't want to spend 2 years at school just to find out I'm looked at differently than traditional applicants. Food for thought

I've heard this, but I don't really believe it. With tuition costs skyrocketing year after year, I think just about anything can be rationalized to adcoms in terms of financial cost.

I've heard this, but I don't really believe it. With tuition costs skyrocketing year after year, I think just about anything can be rationalized to adcoms in terms of financial cost.

I contacted my state school and they were upfront in telling me that one of the CCs in our state that recently became a four year would likely still "be looked at as a community college." I wasn't told this would be a deal breaker though.

They definitely pay attention in some schools though. YMMV

Last edited: