Thoughts about OHSU and BU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

loki1124

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,
I was wondering if anybody had any thoughts on either OHSU or BU as I am trying to decide between the two. From what I can tell they seem to be pretty similar in a lot of the rankings/other measures except that OHSU does a block curriculum and BU doesn't. Any thoughts?

Thanks, Rob

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all,
I was wondering if anybody had any thoughts on either OHSU or BU as I am trying to decide between the two. From what I can tell they seem to be pretty similar in a lot of the rankings/other measures except that OHSU does a block curriculum and BU doesn't. Any thoughts?

Thanks, Rob

How about cost? My guess is BU is much more expensive overall?
How about where you are/want to be - east coast/west coast....?

Members don't see this ad :)
from what i hear, being on blocks cuts up learning a lot (ie learning X, get tested on X, move on to Y, and so on..) versus learning XYZ, get tested on XYZ. so OHSU might help in the stress department.

why dont you post out what you think are pros and cons?

I posted this a while back for a person asking a similar question.

I was actually in a very similar situation a few weeks ago, having to choose between OHSU and Georgetown. I eventually chose OHSU, so I may be a bit biased (note: oregon resident so maybe italicize bias) but maybe I can highlight a few things that particularly impressed me about OHSU.

1. Integrated Curriculum. Block schedule reallycuts down on the stress, and 2-4 hours of lecture a day is light compared to a lot of school. From the MSIs and MSIIs I've talked to, the curricula seems particularly tailored/trimmed towards the stuff that's really useful and important to a doctor. The students I've talked to at OHSU love the integrated curriculum. No juggling multiple exams, clear cut workload, less time in lecture, more free time for preceptorship, shadowing, volunteering, research, and extracurriculars. While OHSU students were still stressed, they didn't seem as frazzled as some of the students at other schools I interviewed at.

2. The Hill. Within a couple thousand feet of the school you have the main OHSU hospital (over 400 beds), the VA hospital (which is the primary location of VA transplants in the entire NW), Doernbecher children's hospital, and Shriner's children's hospital. Lots of cases, and since OHSU is the main draw for crazy stuff for basically all of oregon, you get to see some interesting things as well. Plus it's all right there, no commuting, nothing.

3. The culture. This is more of a gut feeling on my part. While there are gunners at every school, the students at OHSU I talked to really were into a cooperate culture which seems less hypercompetitive than some schools. Apparently this doesn't detract from academic success though... OHSU's Step I and Step II pass rates are top notch and their residency matching is also right up there. US News (take it for a grain of salt if you will) has OHSU up to the #4 primary care school in the nation, but there definitely was a pervasive "we're in this together" feeling to the class culture. And the students aren't as old as the stereotype of the school tends to acknowledge... OHSU is starting to trend back toward taking applicants younger rather than older (hell they took me and I wont even have been 22 a week before we matriculate).

4. Early clinicals. You start your second week of med school. I liked this because the most difficult thing about medical school, according to 95% of the MSIII and MSIVs I talked to, was the adjustment from the regurgitative book learning of the first two years to the thinking on the fly learning and problem solving of the clinical rotations and beyond. OHSU gets students started on being and thinking in clinical settings early.

5. The campus/city. Portland rocks for people in their 20s and 30s. The area is beautiful. You're an hour away from either the beach or skiing on Mt Hood for those few days off. Rent isn't out of control like some larger cities.

5. The campus/city. Portland rocks for people in their 20s and 30s. The area is beautiful. You're an hour away from either the beach or skiing on Mt Hood for those few days off. Rent isn't out of control like some larger cities.

Okay - they are very different places, but aside from the out of control rent part, Boston is at least as good in all of these areas you mention. Beach - less than an hour away. Skiing - less than an hour away. People in their 20's & 30's practically make up Boston. Seriously. In the summer this place is practically deserted since all the students go home! :laugh: It is one of the best places to be for that age group. (As would DC have been if you chose it.) It doesn't have the natural beauty that Oregon has (and yes, I can pronounce it correctly!) but some people think it's beautiful as a city.

Okay - they are very different places, but aside from the out of control rent part, Boston is at least as good in all of these areas you mention. Beach - less than an hour away. Skiing - less than an hour away. People in their 20's & 30's practically make up Boston. Seriously. In the summer this place is practically deserted since all the students go home! :laugh: It is one of the best places to be for that age group. (As would DC have been if you chose it.) It doesn't have the natural beauty that Oregon has (and yes, I can pronounce it correctly!) but some people think it's beautiful as a city.

Like I said, wasn't meaning to compare it to BU (as I didn't interview there). Simply stating what reflected positively to me about OHSU.

I feel like I've read a discussion on OHSU v. BU before. I believe it's on an OHSU thread, either this year's "Ohsu '07" or last year's "Any news from OHSU?" thread. I would check that out, maybe do a search on "OHSU Boston" or something. Best of luck!