Thoughts/advice about semester long internships??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cowboyup

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently on day 4 of work at a equine hospital in Florida, here till june. I will be a rider for an ambulatory vet, doing mainly repro and sports med. I was at this clinic for a similar position for two months in the early summer so I think I know what I am getting myself into.

I am wondering what other people have done in the way of full time vet internships or paid work, either during the semester or summer. What type of animals, location, work conditions, advice for surviving it.

Members don't see this ad.

I am wondering what other people have done in the way of full time vet internships or paid work, either during the semester or summer. What type of animals, location, work conditions, advice for surviving it.

Is this an "internship" as a pre-vet or an externship as a vet student?

I did an internship with an equine vet, paid, over the summer. He was literally borderline nuts (I had clients ocme up and tell me!) and I learned a lot about equine racehorse drugs and why I may not want to work on the track :laugh: A friend also has done one long term (semester long plus) and the vet keeps trying to convince her that he wants to leave his wife and marry her :eek: Good luck! Hope you decide to do equine med- we need more sane equine vets :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Is this an "internship" as a pre-vet or an externship as a vet student?

Yes yes yes, pre vet, I realize that my terminology is off bc internship in vet circles is post-vet school. The clinic Im at does except externs from vet schools and has 4 interns, two ambulatory and two hospital.

I hope the vet im working with dosent want to leave his wife and marry me, seeing as how im a male.

When I was looking for large animal experience, I contacted every equine-related vet at UC Davis and sent them all letters begging for experience. I was willing to work for free and do any grunt work necessary. I did this a year ago and was able to perform independent research on the bacteria that causes pigeon fever in horses (hopefully it will be published!), assisted in a pharmacokinetic research of Ciprofloxacin as an oral antibiotic for horses, and helped out in a metabolic performance test on horses during the Tevis Cup. But my biggest project has been helping out with research as to why horses in the Salinas area are afflicted with osteoporosis, some even being euthanized at the age of 4. With this project, I helped out during necropsies, nuclear scintigraphy, radiographs, and tissue debridement of affected bones.

I did all of these projects during school and throughout the summer while caring for our two young sons. I was given such awesome opportunities after the vets saw that I was willing to work hard, come in early/late/on weekends, and was dedicated to the project itself. Two of these positions later turned into paid positions that I am still helping out with and I received a couple of really awesome letters of rec (at least both vets told me they were awesome...).

My advice is to put yourself out there and create your own opportunities. One position that initially sounded dreary (growing bacteria in dirt??) turned into 4 excellent projects that I learned so much from. Find an area that you want to work in and throw yourself to the people in that area. Persistence pays off, and something will work out. But, be prepared to work your butt off!!

Hope this helps & good luck!