Thoughts from an MCAT retaker

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

berkeleyjess

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I just signed up for this site and it seems awesome. Anyway, I thought I would write down a few of my thoughts about the MCAT. I took it last August after taking the Kaplan classroom class. I got a 29. I decided to retake becuase I was not focused at all and was too nervous on test day so I thought I could do better. (since you are probably wondering, I was getting 34s and 35s on practice exams).
So this time, I bought the ExamKrackers books including the 1001 series and 101 verbal passages. They are all great by the way. Physical science was always my best section, but the 1001 chem and physics books were VERY helpful. Doing question after question really showed my the ideas that I did not understand fully so that I could work on them more (i would suggest doing these problems early in your study before you start diving into lots of passages). I took EK full lengths, AAMC 3-6, went over my old Kaplan full length exams and took a free Princeton full length.
I had a thought about the MCAT being a "marathon" that we have to train for. For the August exam, I took 5 full lengths every saturday before the exam at the kaplan center. I think this really tired me out. This time, I took more full lengths, but I often spread them out into 2 days and also never did the writing sample. I think this really helped me not be so burned out by the time test day actually arrived. In terms of training for a marathon, people do not actually run whole marathon lengths to train for them. If they did, by the time the actual race arrived, they would be too tired and burned out. I am not saying don't do a full lenth in one sitting, you should, to get the feel of it, but maybe 5 straight is not necesary. Just a thought. Sorry for the long post.

Members don't see this ad.