Thoughts on a couple programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

U_Neuro_Bro?

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, just started using this website, nice to have SOMETHING other than the interview day to learn the inside scoop about some programs. I saw a thread about interview experiences, I will add some thoughts to that this weekend when I have a bit more time to write (looks like that has been at least somewhat helpful for past years). For now, I wanted to get people's thoughts on a couple of neuro programs--Wash U and Case Western. I'm not really a name brand guy, and prestige means very little to me. I hear Wash U talked about very positively on some threads, so I'd like to hear what makes people view this program so favorably (to be clear, I also view them quite positively). Conversely, Case Western does not seem to get as much love here, although they appeared to be a fantastic educational program from my interview experience, and I'm not sure how other programs could be structured much better to provide good overall training. I will talk more about my opinions when I review my interview experiences. For now, what thoughts does anyone out there have on these programs? And what do you value in a program--what makes a program good in your eyes? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know too much about Wash U, but Case is fantastic.

Cleveland Clinic gets more "name recognition" but Case is probably the better training program. Their chair Dr. Furlan was the one who build the stroke program at CC, moved to Case and brought his name and leadership to the program. Very education focused curriculum, dedicated bootcamp prior to starting PGY-2, and seniors get a solid month or so off to take/teach neuroanatomy with the medical students (was very unique to the program). Residents seemed very happy and relaxed, the cancer center they build is amazing and has a Wolfgang Puck inside (what). Dr. Prescott the program director is a favorite, evident by his winning one of the two annual "best program director" awards from AAN a few years ago. I remember Stroke and Epilepsy were strengths. A cool tidbit: Case has trained more department Chairs than any other program (or so I was told during my interview). The downside is the city of Cleveland, I personally found it to be a grey and drab but I know some who love the city.

I also know nothing about Wash U but it's been pretty highly regarded in this old thread for years:

https://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/best-top-5-neurology-residencies.164050/

One thing I do know is they have been one of the highest funded institutions from NIH in both Basic Neurosciences and Clinical Departments for the last several years. So, they definitely seem highly regarded for research, if that's important to you.

NIH rankings and funding for 2016: http://www.brimr.org/NIH_Awards/2016/NIH_Awards_2016.htm