thoughts on a gap year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sit down lucy

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm finding it really tough to choose between something completely different than I've ever done (ie CityYear) and something that's more rewarding financially (ie being a tech in the lab where I work). Has anyone chosen one over the other before and regret/not regret their decision?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, I graduated in 2005 and decided to take a year off. I worked in a lab for the first 6 months, saved money and interviewed at schools. It was rough for those first 6 months, especially cause i didn't like my job, plus the stress of the application process. However, after I got in, I was able to quit my job and I decided to move to Spain for six months, and take spanish classes. I'm having a blast here and would not trade this experience for the world. Plus I'm learning Spanish which will be so important as a physician in new york, where I want to practice. So I would say if you are thinking about doing it, go for it. This is kind of like the last "youthful" fun thing I will be able to do, and I value every minute of it.

Good luck, message me if you have any more questions!

sit down lucy said:
I'm finding it really tough to choose between something completely different than I've ever done (ie CityYear) and something that's more rewarding financially (ie being a tech in the lab where I work). Has anyone chosen one over the other before and regret/not regret their decision?

Thanks.