Thoughts on applying this upcoming cycle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

toothdds

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

So I am a little unsure of what to do so I wanted to get some of you guys' advice if you don't mind. I am currently a senior (I had to take time off of school for medical reasons and recently took last fall off to take study and take the DAT) and psychology major and have only took Gen Bio, Gen Chem, and O Chem. I still need to take Physics for sure and Biochem, but in order to graduate next year I can really only squeeze in Physics and Biochem. Is it that important to take most of the recommended courses, so should I extend another semester and apply not this June but next June?

Thank you so much and any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

So I am a little unsure of what to do so I wanted to get some of you guys' advice if you don't mind. I am currently a senior (I had to take time off of school for medical reasons and recently took last fall off to take study and take the DAT) and psychology major and have only took Gen Bio, Gen Chem, and O Chem. I still need to take Physics for sure and Biochem, but in order to graduate next year I can really only squeeze in Physics and Biochem. Is it that important to take most of the recommended courses, so should I extend another semester and apply not this June but next June?

Thank you so much and any advice would be greatly appreciated!
We need more specific statistics. Ogpa, sgpa, shadowing hours, volunteering hours and etc. You don't need physics or biochemistry for dat, but you do need to complete those two classes before you matriculate. I'm assuming you had about 6 months of dat preparation and studying. How confident do you feel at this point and when do you plan to take it?

You need to figure out where you are applying and what the schools pre-req requirements are. Each school is different but if you get an interview/acceptance your acceptance can be contingent upon finishing the courses needed.

Edit: I would say as long as you have finished Gen Chem, Organic and Biology 1 and 2 and you study hard for the DAT then you should be fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just took the DAT

QR: 22
OC: 20
GC: 19
BIO: 17
RC: 19
TS: 18
AA:19

I have been shadowing for 5 years now, every break from school, so I have a lot of shadowing hours. 4.0 GPA
We need more specific statistics. Ogpa, sgpa, shadowing hours, volunteering hours and etc. You don't need physics or biochemistry for dat, but you do need to complete those two classes before you matriculate. I'm assuming you had about 6 months of dat preparation and studying. How confident do you feel at this point and when do you plan to take it?
At

Reactions: 1 user
I just took the DAT

I have been shadowing for 5 years now, every break from school, so I have a lot of shadowing hours. 4.0 GPA

At

Where are you applying. You and I have almost the same exact scores on the DAT.

I just took the DAT

At
You have good stats, I would apply strategically to non ivy dental schools. I'm not saying you don't have a chance for ivy dental schools, but your DAT score is slightly worrisome. I would save myself the money and time. Good luck

Reactions: 1 users
I just took the DAT

At

GPA is great! And your DAT scores are okay for acceptances, but you should apply to a lot of schools. A 17 BIO and an 18 TS are a mark or two below the average scores of matriculants, so you're at a disadvantage here.

I just took the DAT

At

Choose your schools wisely and you'll be fine. You don't need to complete Physics and Biochem prior to applying--only prior to matriculating.

Reactions: 1 users
If you want some advice on where to apply PM me. We almost had identical DAT scores

If you want some advice on where to apply PM me. We almost had identical DAT scores

I would love some advice on where to apply, I am not sure what pm means, I am still kind of new to SDN but that would be great!

Last edited: