Thoughts on AT/DPT Dual Degree

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bdh220

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

New to the forum. I was hoping to get peoples thoughts on the pros and cons of getting a dual degree. I am currently an undergraduate student and have just started thinking about the prospect of graduate school. I have not yet decided if I would want to work on the field or in a clinic setting. For now I am just interested in learning more about dual degree programs. Are these programs more competitive to get in to? Where can I search for schools with dual degree programs? Do people recommend going into a dual degree program or should I decide what type of setting I want to work in and then choose a path?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not aware of a dual degree but it might exist. On many other threads I have advocated the AT degree as an excellent undergrad degree before PT school.

CAATE is making the move toward an entry-level Masters for AT. I am not too sure if there is a target date set up for the transition, but certainly heading in that direction. There may then be more opportunities for MSAT/DPT like the one school in the East somewhere (I forget what it is).

Members don't see this ad :)
I think Shenandoah still has a dual degree.

CAATE is making the move toward an entry-level Masters for AT. I am not too sure if there is a target date set up for the transition, but certainly heading in that direction. There may then be more opportunities for MSAT/DPT like the one school in the East somewhere (I forget what it is).

It's still several years away. I had someone very familiar with CAATE tell me last summer that it's expected that the CAATE and the BOC would not mandate it but instead basically let the market lead schools that direction. I think it's several years off still..

It's still several years away. I had someone very familiar with CAATE tell me last summer that it's expected that the CAATE and the BOC would not mandate it but instead basically let the market lead schools that direction. I think it's several years off still..

How can they justify a MS in AT and making $40k working mad hours? Everyone is already upset at the DPT with starting salaries around $60k. Hope they stay with the BS.

How can they justify a MS in AT and making $40k working mad hours? Everyone is already upset at the DPT with starting salaries around $60k. Hope they stay with the BS.

Not disagreeing with you. In fact I know that the DPT has been used as an example over and over again.. On both sides of the equation .

Personally I have a Masters in Medical Sciences with a specialization in Pediatric Sports Medicine along with my athletic training undergraduate degree... And I think we need a better system like that..