Thoughts on Chicago programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pazu

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Northwestern, Rush, UI Chicago, U Chicago...

I've searched and found several threads that talk about this, but they seem outdated. Last I heard (and this was the thread from last year), Rush was good but had lost a lot of their big names to UI Chicago, and Northwestern has a great name but the program isn't all that...however they seem to have made some changes.

Does anyone have more inside information? I'm specifically wondering about Northwestern and whether they've improved in the past year.

Thanks! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Northwestern, Rush, UI Chicago, U Chicago...

I've searched and found several threads that talk about this, but they seem outdated. Last I heard (and this was the thread from last year), Rush was good but had lost a lot of their big names to UI Chicago, and Northwestern has a great name but the program isn't all that...however they seem to have made some changes.

Does anyone have more inside information? I'm specifically wondering about Northwestern and whether they've improved in the past year.

Thanks! :)

I know little since I did not interview at any of the Chicago programs. However I heard from several applicants that they were impressed with Northwestern. Northwestern neuro also has a PSTP program which is rare for neuro residencies.

I have also heard that in Chicago, in the past there has been a lot of movement of faculty from one place to another. This has disrupted some of the departments.

Members don't see this ad :)
I went to medical school at Northwestern, and spent a lot of time in the neurology department at that time. However, that was 5+ years ago now.

Chicago is a fantastic city, and I would like to get back there someday (did residency and am currently a fellow in Boston). Northwestern Memorial is a great hospital, and I enjoyed working there. Academically, Northwestern neurology was not the most research-oriented program while I was there, but the faculty was very good, and I think the residents got very good training. Northwestern has a big and strong neurosurgery division, and an active neuroICU as well. The atmosphere at NMH is rather unique, and I would suggest you give it a look if you are at all interested. You might really like what you find.

in my opinion, and I emphsize, my opinion, Loyola is a dump of a hospital. Residents seemed over worked and in talking to them, they seem to lack camarderie among them

I agree, tough first year doesnt translate into being a better neurologist. I did my residency at a big name moderate volume academic program with heavy emphasis on resident education & compliance with ACGME hours. Research output was moderate to high at resident level. I think it made me a well rounded neurophysician with understanding of all aspects of neurology.

I went on to do fellowship in a big name program with heavy work load for residents in my specialty. I saw them slaving it out everyday, not getting any education. The academics in that program were poor compared to my home program. The quality of residents, their neuro-exam skills, interpretation of labs & imaging, documentation, understanding of disease pathophysiology as well as ability to form a differential was average to poor. The residents felt they had been short-charged by the program's big name. Research output at resident level was below average. At the fellowship level, it was moderate educationally & high in the research output. But I would not have done my residency there as there would have been no time to read & reflect what I saw on the floors.

I have never liked big city residencies in NY, LA, SF, Houston, Miami, Chicago, Pittsburgh & Boston for these reasons. But these programs are good for fellowships as the case load & hence pathology & research output is great. And the fellow doesnt scut as much as the residents. There is time to read.

Last edited:
Rush Neurology did lose a lot of its faculty but it's slowly rebuilding, and they have a lot of young attendings now with a lot of new ideas and energy. I think it's still going to be great. The hospital itself is a wonderful employer--benefits are good, including free indoor parking! That's a lot in Chicago! hee hee hee

U of C is great also, but it's a front-loaded program. Great for neurocritical care I think. HIV dementia too.

I agree chitown is an awesome place to live in. The summers make you forget the winters, and Lake Michigan is just gorgeous :love:

Rush Neurology did lose a lot of its faculty but it's slowly rebuilding, and they have a lot of young attendings now with a lot of new ideas and energy. I think it's still going to be great. The hospital itself is a wonderful employer--benefits are good, including free indoor parking! That's a lot in Chicago! hee hee hee

U of C is great also, but it's a front-loaded program. Great for neurocritical care I think. HIV dementia too.

I agree chitown is an awesome place to live in. The summers make you forget the winters, and Lake Michigan is just gorgeous :love:

Hi Buckley..what do you mean when you say U of C is a 'front-loaded program'? Right now that's my top choice...(you are referring to U. of Illinois at Chicago, correct?)

"U of C" refers to University of Chicago. UIC is University of Illinois at Chicago.

Yup...U of C is University of Chicago. frontloaded meaning you do most of your calls on the first year and by 4th year you have pretty much elective time. I did not interview at UIC--they get pretty worked there from whqat I hear but they have a great computer program throughout the hospital that makes the work a lot easier. Those are the only things I know about it. Oh and they have this great primate research lab for those into the basic neurosciences

UofC is the best program - very intetelctual, very academic, outstanding faculty who excel in teaching. Also, the best institution overall for all specialties. Neurosurgery had problems, but that doesn't interfere with neurology much, actually neurology totally dominates the place. Frontloaded with q4 call during the first year, lots of elective time and home call only in the 2nd and 3rd year. There is no comparison between UofC and UiC for residency. Rush had the reputation of nice and easy program, but that changed dramatically over the past few years - they are getting lots of stroke and ICU exposure now. Can't comment about NW, but not very impressed by their faculty. UofC has the best tradition and definitely the most outstanding reputation nationwide.

My qualm against U of C - their rather obfuscated PGY-1 "affiliation" for prelim spots. http://neurology.uchicago.edu/Residency%20FAQ.aspx
And what ERAS has listed under the program seems different from what is stated in the link above. Now NMH has a guaranteed PGY-1 which does not require a separate interview, so I only applied to that one in the Chicago area.

Please, PDs - just make positions categorical. It would make things SOOOO much easier for 95% of us who want to stay in one place for 4 years!

My qualm against U of C - their rather obfuscated PGY-1 "affiliation" for prelim spots. http://neurology.uchicago.edu/Residency FAQ.aspx
And what ERAS has listed under the program seems different from what is stated in the link above. Now NMH has a guaranteed PGY-1 which does not require a separate interview, so I only applied to that one in the Chicago area.

Please, PDs - just make positions categorical. It would make things SOOOO much easier for 95% of us who want to stay in one place for 4 years!

Phake I think you underestimate the number of applicants that would prefer to do their first year elsewhere. In fact, I basically declined interviews at all categorical only programs. Many top programs offer a lot of flexability with both catigorical and advanced options.

Be careful not to write off advanced only programs too early in the process. Many of them will bend of backward to basically assure you a spot in their prelim medicine program.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are any of you from the Loyola University program? Just heard back from the program. Applying from Pennsylvania so wanted to know you guys thought. I'm not sure I want to be in Chicago but wanted to keep my options open. Thanks so much!

My first pick would be Rush. The environment is more cohesive. University of Chicago and Northwestern neurology residents are clearly overwhelmed. The UC residents seem miserable and the seniors treat the new residents like crap.

My first pick would be Rush. The environment is more cohesive. University of Chicago and Northwestern neurology residents are clearly overwhelmed. The UC residents seem miserable and the seniors treat the new residents like crap.
Northwestern >> rush > uchicago >>> UIC

What about Loyola?
Historically malignant and based on what I saw others post and say about it this year, it hasnt changed. Intern year is exceptionally tough. Definitely the least desired program in all of Chicago. Realized not to go with interview impressions and base decisions on programs from senior residents. Anyone can make one day look great trying to make a good impression

NW then rush then UC then UIC

Both NW and UC are historically malignant. Both frontloaded meaning you are overworked. NW residents didn’t seem to get along. UC residents didn’t seem happy. The chief that interviewed me was condescending. Many IMGs at UC. Rush was friendlier - good work environment.

NW - nice location. UC and Rush and UIC not desirable location.

Trying to build my ROL and can use all y’all wonderful peopels help:

NW, rush, UC, UIC, UVA, MCW, SLU, Loyola

UVA, NW, Rush are all very good programs. I don't know much about UIC or MCW. The multitude of bad stories about Loyola only take a forum search. SLU is not a quality program based on my experience with their residents and graduates.

Reactions: 1 user
UVA, NW, Rush are all very good programs. I don't know much about UIC or MCW. The multitude of bad stories about Loyola only take a forum search. SLU is not a quality program based on my experience with their residents and graduates.
Thank you kindly :) happy holidays!

Could I piggy-back and ask what others think about the Chicago programs relative to other programs in the Midwest like Cleveland/Case, Ohio State, Cincinnati, UW-Madison, MCW, IU, Mayo/Rochester? I thought interviewing at some of the Chicago programs was nice but I am really struggling with the thought of living in Chicago. I detest the city.

Could I piggy-back and ask what others think about the Chicago programs relative to other programs in the Midwest like Cleveland/Case, Ohio State, Cincinnati, UW-Madison, MCW, IU, Mayo/Rochester? I thought interviewing at some of the Chicago programs was nice but I am really struggling with the thought of living in Chicago. I detest the city.
MCW, IU and UW are really great program and that I enjoyed a lot and have great opportunities for various specialties and not just stroke which I feel most (if not all) Chicago programs offer. Also, if you hate living in Chicago I would not even bother ranking it high as location is one of the biggest things in a program in my opinion because you need to look forward to having a break day and doing things outside the hospital.

If you hate Chicago but want to be in the Midwest, you are in luck. Mayo and Wash U are generally considered the top MW programs and neither is in Chicago. Michigan, Case, and CCF are at least as good as any program in Chicago as well.

Reactions: 1 user
Chicago is unusual in that it's a major (and huge) city with a relative dearth of elite medical campuses. Rush, UC, Northwestern, etc are all perfectly good medical institutions, but on a national level, they do not command anywhere near the same reputation (or breadth of training) as Wash U and Mayo. They're clearly climbing over each other for patients and market share, but there are plenty of other cities like this (NYC, Boston, etc) where this hasnt precluded the establishment of a more robust reputation. Take that for what it's worth, but there are certainly very elite midwestern programs, and none of them are in Chicago.

Aside from them, if you're looking for good midwestern neurology programs outside of Chicago, Univ of Wisconsin, Minnesota, Cincinnati all come to mind (in addition to many others).