Thoughts on community vs university programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tiredmom

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!
I'd like to hear the positives and negatives of community and unversity programs. I'm hearing that people seem to gravitate to one type or the other, and don't usually know this until they are interviewing... what are your thoughts?
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I think that academic vs community only really matters if you are trying to pursue a competitive fellowship (REI or Gyn Onc are the 2 most competitive). But even then I have heard of many a resident from a community program to match into one of these fellowships.

As far as community program go...I have heard through the grapevine that Carolinas Medical center in Charlotte, NC and Orlando Regional are good community programs and are close to academic programs with regards to research. However, there are some reviews out there (on Scutwork.com) blasting the Carolinas program (albeit from 2000). I am curious to see if any of you have information regarding these programs or can verify or refute these claims?

Later. Got to study for Step II :sleep:

Thanks! Good luck on your exam!

Members don't see this ad :)
academia (univ) will likely offer you more MFM and REi and ONc depends if you want a fellowship or publication profiles. DEFINATELY GO TO A PROGRAM WITH A NIGHT FLOAT. If you do not you will NEVER have a set schedule OR SEE YOUR FAMILY OR KIDS. Don't make the same mistake I did! A larger program also will give you less work hours and more call coverage and usually are more family friendsly. Like the program her at IU (Indiana-Purdue, Indianapolis, MD) or UMKC MO or Temple Philly, PA, or Univ Minnesota

Good luck
Diane

Diane L. Evans said:
academia (univ) will likely offer you more MFM and REi and ONc depends if you want a fellowship or publication profiles. DEFINATELY GO TO A PROGRAM WITH A NIGHT FLOAT. If you do not you will NEVER have a set schedule OR SEE YOUR FAMILY OR KIDS. Don't make the same mistake I did! A larger program also will give you less work hours and more call coverage and usually are more family friendsly. Like the program her at IU (Indiana-Purdue, Indianapolis, MD) or UMKC MO or Temple Philly, PA, or Univ Minnesota

Good luck
Diane

Thanks so much - great advice!