Thoughts on current school choices

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tcc123

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got my MCAT back and am now trying to figure out where I want to apply. I have a 37O mcat, 3.6 overall GPA, 3.5 BCPM gpa, good volunteering and medical work experience. However, I have absolutely no research and didn't really have time for it because I switched to pre-med only a few years ago and am still graduating with a civil engineering degree.
I am def. applying to my state school. But I am also thinking about Tulane, Vandy, Emory, SLU, and am looking at DC and boston schools.

I really wanna stay in the south though, and if the cost ends up being lots more for the private schools I will prob just go in state.

Let me know what you all think

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

No research isn't as big as a problem as you think. Just avoid (or don't count on) really research heavy schools. What is your state of residence? Also, your MCAT is excellent, but your science gpa is a little on the low side for top tier schools. Then again, I've heard they give a little slack for engineering majors. Are your pre-req grades good?

Anyway, I have no idea what your state school is or how much you can rely on it as a safety, but it sounds like you feel very confident about your chances there. And given your preference for your cheaper state school versus private schools to the north, I'd say skip the Boston and DC schools (or apply to them but put the interviews off until late October or November so you can decline and save the travel $ if you get into your state school in mid-October). They're expensive, receive a ton of applications (the most in the country), and it sounds like you're not so keen on them anyway. But I think Tulane, Vandy and Emory sound great. And how about Baylor, Miami, UVA and UNC as well? UNC doesn't take a lot of OOS applicants, but you never know with your stellar MCAT. Ditto with Texas schools - they don't take a lot of OOS applicants, but because they have the TDMSAS, there aren't as many OOS applying so you'd probably have a decent chance (and stay in the south). You could also consider USC in CA. And SLU sounds like a good match too (even though I never think of it as southern). Finally, how about EVMS and VCU as southern-ish safeties?

I didn't know uva accepted so many oos applicants so I will def. look at that and some of the other schools you mentioned. I am only thinking about slu b/c it is comparitively close to home. One thing I might have going for me is that I have had a 4.0 for the past 2 years, so most of my low grades came during my freshman and soph. year. Thanks for the ideas phoenix!

Last edited: