Thoughts on HCA residency programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

luckybuck

Reaction score
Whats the deal with these? Quality of training? Any pros or cons of them? What are your thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I don’t know the specifics of how their residency slots are funded, but being for profit might preclude you from taking advantage of PSLF eligibility during training if that’s a concern for you. I didn’t apply to any HCA programs after hearing from a few folks (attendings and residents) that they focus more on productivity and less on resident education. I’m sure this is variable from program to program and is, of course, entirely anecdotal.

HCA is the biggest hospital system in the USA.

For the better and worse... Plus Meditech. YMMV
So what do you think the pros and cons of training at one of these programs are? I know its the biggest hospital system

What's wrong with Medi-tech? Curious as I'm actually looking to join an HCA facility as an attending.
Meditech is a DOS-based EMR. That means for many functions, you are restricted to keyboard commands only and mouse is non-functional. This can make routine functions time consuming and unintuitive. Essentially, all the restrictions you would think an early 90s computer program will have, this will have. That means many routine medical tasks may require additional steps or have technological obstacles.

It will take time to get used to. Learning curve may be larger than most given the above.

The issue with HCA is that they are the biggest system, which means interfacing with meditech is inevitable if they continue to grow and purchase systems. They will use no other EMR given that meditech is their own frankestein of late 80s/early 90s technology.

Reactions: 3 users
Meditech is a DOS-based EMR. That means for many functions, you are restricted to keyboard commands only and mouse is non-functional. This can make routine functions time consuming and unintuitive. Essentially, all the restrictions you would think an early 90s computer program will have, this will have. That means many routine medical tasks may require additional steps or have technological obstacles.

It will take time to get used to. Learning curve may be larger than most given the above.

The issue with HCA is that they are the biggest system, which means interfacing with meditech is inevitable if they continue to grow and purchase systems. They will use no other EMR given that meditech is their own frankestein of late 80s/early 90s technology.
Meditech is utter rubbish. I have worked extensively with 6 different EMRs and it was easily the worse. It makes flagship products like Epic and Cerner look revolutionary. There is no way it's use does not add 5-30 minutes to your day just depending on number of patients and specific setting you are using it in.

Reactions: 1 users