danib2k15

ACCEPTED WOOOOOO
Aug 21, 2015
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
Hey everyone,

I know they have school specific threads but I think they tend to focus on the secondaries and interview. Hoping to see what people think about this school and how it compares to more established mid and top tier schools?

CCMDOC9254

2+ Year Member
Jun 11, 2015
Status
Medical Student
From just reading up on them, it honestly sounds like a fantastic program. They have a brand new curriculum already in place (early clinical exposure), unlike other schools who are still transitioning and working out the kinks. Plus they have a ton of money since they are partnered with North Shore-LIJ.

Reactions: danib2k15

md-2020

The Immaculate Catch
2+ Year Member
Jun 29, 2015
Status
Medical Student
+1 to everything above plus let's not forget it's on Long Island....one of the best year-round locales you'll find on the face of this planet.

Spector1

Orbis non Sufficit
5+ Year Member
Jun 29, 2011
Status
Pre-Medical
Its a good med school. I'd be happy to get in.

OP
danib2k15

danib2k15

ACCEPTED WOOOOOO
Aug 21, 2015
Status
Thank you guys! I have an interview coming up and am ecstatic! I just wanted to see what others thought. I am a native New Yorker so I know a bit about the NSLIJ health system. I assumed that that was definitely a huge pro. I also saw that their curriculum is modern which is very attractive. Definitely nervous but excited and hopeful! @Goro - now I know it would be a wonderful school to attend (Also, my brother attended their law school so we have a ton of Hofstra family pride!)

Reactions: Goro

md-2020

The Immaculate Catch
2+ Year Member
Jun 29, 2015
Status
Medical Student
I don't even know what to say about this. Honestly, only people I've met who love Long Island are from Long Island... or New Jersey/Staten Island...
I'm from neither, but my family summers less than an hour from Hofstras campus and it is honestly an excellent location

Most locals on the island seem very pleased with their neighborhood. It's close to the city, quiet, suburban, scenic, and upscale. I would have no problem living/schooling there for extended periods of time.

Last edited:

Cyberdyne 101

It's a dry heat
5+ Year Member
Sep 16, 2013
Under the Bay Bridge
Status
Pre-Medical
I don't even know what to say about this. Honestly, only people I've met who love Long Island are from Long Island... or New Jersey/Staten Island...
You're forgetting that plenty of wealthy Manhattanites spend their weekends and vacations in LI.

md-2020

The Immaculate Catch
2+ Year Member
Jun 29, 2015
Status
Medical Student
It depends on how you go. Driving would probably be closer to 2hrs, the LIRR would be 3hrs. I just know that I was born and raised 1hr east of Hofstra, you need to pass by my town to go from Hofstra to either Montauk or the Hamptons, and it takes more than 1.5hrs to go from my town to Montauk
I'll take your word for it.

I haven't actually timed my drives, just seemed pretty short from Hamptons/montauk past Hempstead.

lmn

Dec 19, 2013
Status
Medical Student
Their location is attractive, and their averages are pretty strong.
Average MCAT 33, average GPA 3.6
Plus look how well their first class matched;
http://www.innovateli.com/hofstra-nslij-med-school-graduates-first-class/
Oh, and they also have a 4+4 plan too!
http://www.hofstra.edu/Admission/adm_4plus4.html
Have you seen any actual match lists? I can't seem to find any match list or % matching their top choices, both of which are things people should really pay attention to when choosing a school. Sure they list some general program names, but without knowing what specialty and actual location, it's really hard to tell the quality of programs. I also wonder if the majority of their students matched into NY/Long Island programs because they are from there or wanted to stay there, or if it is because they couldn't get much love from other programs around the country. Just some things to consider when you or anyone else considers this program, sure it looks like if you go, you will become a doctor, but how great of a choice you have in your residency down the line still seems unclear w/o more transparency from the school on their match stats.

Edit: Also to add to OP's question, I interviewed there when I was applying, seemed like an ok school with some differences - mainly a curriculum that mostly seemed like teach yourself vs other schools, and faculty that they sold as just being faculty, not having other research/etc. Sure that seems nice, but personally I, as well as most my classmates, haven't ever really had much issue accessing our faculty for help even with their side research/etc. So in retrospect, I don't really think that would matter having them not be researchers, if anything you might lose opportunities then. But if it was the only school I got into I would've gone, so it's not like I think the school is really bad or anything - just not for me.

Last edited:

Dr.Sticks

2+ Year Member
Nov 24, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
Have you seen any actual match lists? I can't seem to find any match list or % matching their top choices, both of which are things people should really pay attention to when choosing a school. Sure they list some general program names, but without knowing what specialty and actual location, it's really hard to tell the quality of programs. I also wonder if the majority of their students matched into NY/Long Island programs because they are from there or wanted to stay there, or if it is because they couldn't get much love from other programs around the country. Just some things to consider when you or anyone else considers this program, sure it looks like if you go, you will become a doctor, but how great of a choice you have in your residency down the line still seems unclear w/o more transparency from the school on their match stats.

Edit: Also to add to OP's question, I interviewed there when I was applying, seemed like an ok school with some differences - mainly a curriculum that mostly seemed like teach yourself vs other schools, and faculty that they sold as just being faculty, not having other research/etc. Sure that seems nice, but personally I, as well as most my classmates, haven't ever really had much issue accessing our faculty for help even with their side research/etc. So in retrospect, I don't really think that would matter having them not be researchers, if anything you might lose opportunities then. But if it was the only school I got into I would've gone, so it's not like I think the school is really bad or anything - just not for me.
Yeah read here
http://news.hofstra.edu/2015/03/20/med-schools-match-day-100-placement-inaugural-class/

lmn

Dec 19, 2013
Status
Medical Student
Not sure if I'm my brain is just fluff, bit if you're talking about this statement, that isn't a real match list.
The School of Medicine’s first Match Day breakdown includes:

• 11 students matched to NSLIJ teaching hospitals
  • 19 students matched to NY metro institutions
  • Students matched to institutions across the US, including New York, California, Tennessee and Chicago, Illinois.
  • Institutions for residency placement include: Yale-New Haven Hospital, Duke University Medical Center, Tufts Medical Center, NYP Hospital-Columbia & Cornell, Jefferson Medical College/DuPont Children’s (PA), Memorial Sloan Kettering, Vanderbilt University Medical Center, Boston University Medical Center, University of Southern California, and Mount Sinai.
Actual match lists are like the ones on these pages:
http://news.vanderbilt.edu/2015/03/match-day-reveals-medical-students-future-addresses/
http://ps.columbia.edu/education/student-life/student-affairs/ceremonies-events/match-day

It is a little shady imo that they aren't really showing the match data. Most schools don't actually release the specific student names externally, but to not have information about which specialties with which programs is a little strange ....

Reactions: sleepyturtle

Dr.Sticks

2+ Year Member
Nov 24, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
Not sure if I'm my brain is just fluff, bit if you're talking about this statement, that isn't a real match list.

Real match lists are like the ones on these pages:
http://news.vanderbilt.edu/2015/03/match-day-reveals-medical-students-future-addresses/
http://ps.columbia.edu/education/student-life/student-affairs/ceremonies-events/match-day

It is a little shady imo that they aren't really showing the match data. Most schools don't actually release the specific student names externally, but to not have information about which specialties with which programs is a little strange ....
30 students matched in NY, 11 at the home hospital, and the rest they said "across the nation"
Maybe it is misrepresentation
They don't exactly say how many matched to prestigious hospitals.. Just tossed in those big names..

Reactions: drechie

lmn

Dec 19, 2013
Status
Medical Student
30 students matched in NY, 11 at the home hospital, and the rest they said "across the nation"
Maybe it is misrepresentation
They don't exactly say how many matched to prestigious hospitals.. Just tossed in those big names..
Ya that's what I mean. I think for people who interview here, I would really want to see a more specific match list, they should be willing to give that to interviees or you can probably get one from current students since I assume they have access to an actual list.

Dr.Sticks

2+ Year Member
Nov 24, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical

caffeinemia

5+ Year Member
Mar 19, 2014
New York, NY
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Schools often neglect to mention if people match into categorical or undesignated prelim spots. So... go figure.

p0gono

2+ Year Member
Jul 24, 2015
Status
@Psai
Actually it was a helpful post with information that hadn't been covered yet. Did you read the whole thread that was linked?

Winged Scapula

Cougariffic!
Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Apr 9, 2000
forums.studentdoctor.net
Status
Attending Physician
why necro a 1 year thread? Such a weird reply notification.
A user bumped the thread with a post attempting to out the identity of another user. There were several posts above mine.

I deleted those posts for obvious reasons and it appears that my post is the bump.

Reactions: Goro