Thoughts on Iowa RadOnc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tiger2011

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any experiences or heard of anything about the University of Iowa's RadOnc program? Seems very new and small. Nobody seems to mention it on this board. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I agree! It would be extremely interesting to hear about the lesser-known programs... As is the case with many situations in life, folks mostly talk about the best and the "horriblest" experiences - but I would definitely appreciate info on the "middle tier programs" - Albert Einstein being another one...

thanks!!!

I'm a current intern who interviewed at Iowa this past cycle and matched elsewhere in the midwest so I can share some thoughts. Iowa only filled 1 of their 2 spots through the match this year and let me say I was surprised. This is strong program that I think was burned by not interviewing enough candidates. This past year I believe they only interviewed 18 of us.

Based off my memory (I wasn't a person who took notes at each interview and have since thrown out much of the propaganda), the program itself is relatively small, but I was impressed by the department. They have a relatively new and very nice cancer center. Strong head and neck department was mentioned multiple times. Very physics heavy with about 11 physicists (I think) on staff. They even call the department something like the cernter for image guided therapy or something like that. Friendly residents, program director was nice-although a little on the quiet side. No away rotations needed. They have their own in department MRI and PET, so they do a lot of research with those toys. Speaking of research this was the location where Holman was pushed the hardest of any I visited. 2 current residents on Holman and one recently graduated. They even took all of us over to the lab space and had a separate meeting with the director of their PhD program talk to us. They, like many others, made mention of protons, but I believe this is not a certainty as of now. Iowa City is a pretty nice college town, good cost of living, but once you are outside of town there isn't much for a good distance. Overall, I like the program and feel it would be a good learning setting, but the location, even for a midwesterner was less than desirable.

Members don't see this ad :)
I rotated at Iowa. I was very impressed with their program overall. They do have a very strong and active physics program, and radiation biology program, which both publish quite a bit. Dr. Buatti is the chair and basically built the program from the ground up - very personable and involved, and a great mentor.

Also of note: Many surgical subspecialties at Iowa there are near the top in the nation, including ENT, so there is the potential for good multidisciplanary interactions. However, there has been quite a bit of turnover in the Rad Onc Head and Neck attednings.

I have also heard rumors of plans for protons, but everyone has rumors of plans for rumors about protons.

A close colleague of mine who works in imaging physics speaks extremely highly of the Iowa physics department, and he's had a lot of positive interactions with their clinical faculty as well!