Thoughts on my DO school list?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ManOfDiligence

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I would apply to more schools. Your stats are very low but you are a URM and Texas resident so thats gold. Maybe retake your MCAT to bump that score up. Touro-NY might be a stretch because their average is 6 points above what you got. Your best bet is most likely TCOM. You actually might have a shot at Meharry though so apply there. From there website: "The Admissions Committee considers a science GPA of 3.3 and an MCAT score of 24 competitive." Unless it is a HBC you have little shot at MD though so stick with DOs. Might as well apply to state MD.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you're going to apply to TCOM I'd just go ahead and apply to all Texas schools.

Cross out Touro-NY as your mcat is too low.

Add in CUSOM, LECOM-E, and ACOM.

also add KYCOM...you might have a solid shot there

Add at least 6 more schools. Touro-NY for the new Middletown campus might happen, but I don't think Harlem is realistic.

I'd retake the MCAT and apply to all Texas schools. Without a retake you need to apply to more schools. A lot more.

retake mcat and apply TX

Apply to all the TX schools and Meharry, Howard, and Morehouse. Then add the newer DO schools.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow haha your application is essentially similar to mine... ED scribe, lab work, work at a neurology clinic, intramurals, although my MCAT was a few ticks higher and my GPA was 3.75. I didn't get much love from my MD application, but my advice would be to apply broadly and early and read about the school and point out specific things about the program in your secondary essays. It is an investment in your future. But at the end of the day you also have to be realistic and smart about the schools you apply to and do some research on who they admit.

I would certainly add KCUMB, I could not have been more impressed by their interview day and their program, and it seems like they are one of the schools that really looks at everything you do outside the classroom, which for you is strong (they even asked me about my work with intramurals). I'd also add western pomona(Im biased- im matriculating there) haha. It is important to show interest in the school during your interview day and do some research beforehand, you'll be able to kill the interview (hardest part is getting to that point). Succinctly, be smart, apply broadly, and most of all SHOW INTEREST IN THE SCHOOL! best of luck

after looking at your list.. also those 2 schools (western and kcumb) don't require a DO letter (I didn't have one, got into both) and I think vcom does, but not sure about the others. theres a google doc spreading around with schools that require one and could save you some money..

Members don't see this ad :)
after looking at your list.. also those 2 schools (western and kcumb) don't require a DO letter (I didn't have one, got into both) and I think vcom does, but not sure about the others. theres a google doc spreading around with schools that require one and could save you some money..

Awesome. Are you URM?

vcom requires it but will provide one during/after interview. seems weird but that's my plan.

vcom requires it but will provide one during/after interview. seems weird but that's my plan.

sorry I ask this question across this forum many times.....................but how RELIABLE is the information that VCOM (and also LECOME-brandeton) provide DO LOR during interview?

sorry I ask this question across this forum many times.....................but how RELIABLE is the information that VCOM (and also LECOME-brandeton) provide DO LOR during interview?

um.... unless the card that I received from a VCOM representative that had a presentation at my school, information from all of the forum, osteopathic college information book, and my direct question to the VCOM representative asking that question, are all fake/illusion/troll/imagination,
it is 99.9% reliable. (Can't be 100% in anything..., I can't even be 100% that I can't be 100% at anything. I can't even be 100% that I can't even be 100% that I can't be 100% at anything)
leonardo-dicaprio-inception-movie-meme-face.jpg

um.... unless the card that I received from a VCOM representative that had a presentation at my school, information from all of the forum, osteopathic college information book, and my direct question to the VCOM representative asking that question, are all fake/illusion/troll/imagination,
it is 99.9% reliable. (Can't be 100% in anything..., I can't even be 100% that I can't be 100% at anything. I can't even be 100% that I can't even be 100% that I can't be 100% at anything)
View attachment 181968

LOLLLLL sorry I just never read this up on their website so just asking. Thanks!

I'm a 22 year old African American male. Texas resident.

cGPA: 3.45
sGPA: 3.34
MCAT: 24 (8/8/8)

ECs:
  • ED scribe - 1200 hrs
  • Shadowed MD (300hrs)
  • Medical Assistant at Neurology clinic - 900 hrs (current job)
  • Amphibian and Reptile Diversity Research - 145 hrs
  • Volunteered at two clinics devoted to serving underserved populations in the community- 300+ hours over 2.5 years. (A desire to serve underserved populations as a physician is a pertinent theme throughout my application)
  • T.A in Microbiology
  • Intramural sports
I have strong LOR's (2 from science professors and 1 from MD I shadowed). I have a very strong personal statement as well. I will apply to my state MD schools and plan on applying to these DO schools below.

TCOM
WVSOM
PCOM-GA
LMU-DCOM
Touro-NY
VCOM-VC

Do I have a decent shot if I submit in about 1 week?

you should apply to HBC schools since you are applying MD! Like howard, meharry, morehouse etc. They take mostly african american and they have much much lower stats than most MD schools. They're very lenient. And obviously it'll open up more opportunities when it comes to specialties/residencies.

Last edited:
You realize you can call and ask if you're in doubt?