Thoughts on my ECs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

leadsquid

Reaction score
Hello. Looking for any insight to see how I am stacking up when it comes to my ECs. For context I am a non-trad going back for a DIY post-bacc this Fall and hope to apply MD/DO in a few years. GPA will be below average for both (3.2~). No MCAT score yet.

Leadership (Feel like I’m grasping in this catergory.)
  • Current - Weekend Case Management Manager in a small-medium sized hospital - 3 months as lead case manager on the weekends. Managing a team of 2-4 other social workers and RN case managers
  • 6-7 years ago - Started and ran a small indie record label for 3 years. Put out 3 records (which is a lot for work/time/money for a bedroom record label). Had two friends that helped me with this project.
  • 8 years ago- Was the band “dad” for an indie band I played bass in. Coordinated tours up and down the east coast for a couple of years, put out a couple of records, and managed merchandise, promotion, and booking shows/interviews/etc

Healthcare Experience:
  • Full-time Rehab Tech at a SNF (2012-2017/ approx. 10,400 hours) while completing my first bachelor
  • Hospice Social worker (Licensed bachelor of Social Work) (2017-2019) - I was PRN so maybe about 100 hours.
  • Hospital Social Worker / Case Manager - 8/2019- 08/2021 (Full time). Lots of experience with discharge planning, patient and family meetings (goals of care, need for community resources, etc), coordinating resources, and working with every type of possible healthcare professional.
  • Sole social worker on the Cancer Committee at my hospital. Helped develop plans in the community for cancer patients to receive discounts at local farmer markets for healthier food options.
Research:
  • Helped a Social Work professor with a community needs assessment for a local non-profit clinic. Put together questionnaires, interviewed clinic patients, and input the results. My name is on the report but I’m not sure if this would count for research.
Volunteer:
  • Volunteered at a local men’s homeless shelter since 2019. One to two days per week.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello. Looking for any insight to see how I am stacking up when it comes to my ECs. For context I am a non-trad going back for a DIY post-bacc this Fall and hope to apply MD/DO in a few years. GPA will be below average for both (3.2~). No MCAT score yet.

Leadership (Feel like I’m grasping in this catergory.)
  • Current - Weekend Case Management Manager in a small-medium sized hospital - 3 months as lead case manager on the weekends. Managing a team of 2-4 other social workers and RN case managers
  • 6-7 years ago - Started and ran a small indie record label for 3 years. Put out 3 records (which is a lot for work/time/money for a bedroom record label). Had two friends that helped me with this project.
  • 8 years ago- Was the band “dad” for an indie band I played bass in. Coordinated tours up and down the east coast for a couple of years, put out a couple of records, and managed merchandise, promotion, and booking shows/interviews/etc

Healthcare Experience:
  • Full-time Rehab Tech at a SNF (2012-2017/ approx. 10,400 hours) while completing my first bachelor
  • Hospice Social worker (Licensed bachelor of Social Work) (2017-2019) - I was PRN so maybe about 100 hours.
  • Hospital Social Worker / Case Manager - 8/2019- 08/2021 (Full time). Lots of experience with discharge planning, patient and family meetings (goals of care, need for community resources, etc), coordinating resources, and working with every type of possible healthcare professional.
  • Sole social worker on the Cancer Committee at my hospital. Helped develop plans in the community for cancer patients to receive discounts at local farmer markets for healthier food options.
Research:
  • Helped a Social Work professor with a community needs assessment for a local non-profit clinic. Put together questionnaires, interviewed clinic patients, and input the results. My name is on the report but I’m not sure if this would count for research.
Volunteer:
  • Volunteered at a local men’s homeless shelter since 2019. One to two days per week.
These EC’s are solid. I actually had a similar music background to you, and was band leader for almost 10 years prior to matriculation. Also did some music director work with a church. People seemed to really enjoy hearing about those experiences, and so I think you will have a lot to talk about on interviews. Great patient experience too as a social worker. Research is light, but you could put that on your application just to have something in that category. My research experience wasn’t all that impressive either. However if you can secure another experience and get a paper out of it, then try to do so. Could help, but lack of research usually won’t hurt unless you apply to research heavy schools.