Thoughts on Pitt?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Paranoid Android

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if anybody has any thoughts or feedback on the program at Pitt. Got the interview invite yesterday, trying to decide whether or not to add it to the end of my interview schedule. Muchas gracias, hope everyone finds inner peace as they consume mass quantities of food and/or alcohol over the next few days.

Members don't see this ad.

Paranoid Android said:
Just wondering if anybody has any thoughts or feedback on the program at Pitt. Got the interview invite yesterday, trying to decide whether or not to add it to the end of my interview schedule. Muchas gracias, hope everyone finds inner peace as they consume mass quantities of food and/or alcohol over the next few days.

Being a Pitt student, I have some insight into the program, and I can tell you that it is a hidden jem. Extremely intelligent, friendly, helpful and supportive faculty. Very chill residents and students. Tons of pathology. One of the best hospital systems in the country. Immense research and research funding. Awesome, subspecialty departments and one of the top general medicine departments. What hurts the Pittsburgh program is that it is Pittsburgh and people tend to shy away. But, if you're looking for an extremely friendly and very affordable place, that makes you look a little harder to find "things to do," (but they are all there), you should definitely check it out.

Paranoid Android said:

I have two friends who are current interns at Pitt and they are very happy. In fact, I haven't heard them complain about anything (unlike many of the other interns I know). What they have told me is consistent with the comments from jazz79. I think it's an underrated place with great training and fellowship opportunities in a humane environment. I visited Pittsburgh for the first time last year and was pleasantly suprised by how much I enjoyed the city. Of course this is all second-hand but hopefully it's helpful.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am an intern at Pitt. I think it is a great program. I have no complaints. Great training, great environment. I am pleasantly surprised at how much of a life I have outside of work ( currently listening to Johnny Cash drinking a Coors Light ). As for pittsburgh, I think it is a great city for what it is. its no NY or Chicago ( which is where I went to med school ), but there are good outdoorsy things to do close by, its affordable, no traffic, friendly people that say wierd words like "yinz: and "faand daan" ( found down ). But for real, there is a lot do--bars, restaurants, sports, etc. As the other person wrote, I think it is a gem, I am happy with my choice. Good luck

i recently interviewed at Pitt about a week ago, and i have some questions i was wondering if people could answer:

1) i'm a little concerned about the size - i think that it might be too big. does anyone else have that concern?? I guess i'm specifically talking about the Program director not knowing the residents well enough to be a serious advocate for them in the future (come fellowship time). at other interiviews i went to, it seemed that the PD was VERY much involved w/ the interview day and w/ the residents, but i didn't get that feel while at Pitt.

2) i'm also slightly concerned about the lack of a Dept of Medicine chairman.

koonafa said:
i recently interviewed at Pitt about a week ago, and i have some questions i was wondering if people could answer:

1) i'm a little concerned about the size - i think that it might be too big. does anyone else have that concern?? I guess i'm specifically talking about the Program director not knowing the residents well enough to be a serious advocate for them in the future (come fellowship time). at other interiviews i went to, it seemed that the PD was VERY much involved w/ the interview day and w/ the residents, but i didn't get that feel while at Pitt.

2) i'm also slightly concerned about the lack of a Dept of Medicine chairman.

Hey There,

a) To answer your second point on the Chairman: They have 4 candidates who are coming back for second look, all very strong from what I hear from "insiders" and there should be a chairman maybe even as early as before the match. So by the time we'd be looking for fellowships there will be someone there to make the phone calls or pull for you.

b) To answer your second point regarding the PD. I think you do have a valid concern/point. He has been the PD for about 25 years! This is good (stability, must know tons of people nationally) and bad (stagnation) and he doesn't seem to have the zeal/energy that I have seen in a couple of other programs/PDs. But, when talking one on one with him (which I have done) he states that he will go to bat for you in terms of fellowship placement. Is it true?-I don't know. The program is now smaller (they cut it down to about 35) so I think he will know you pretty well, but it is true that the residents are in 3 different hospitals (VA, Shadyside for Cancer and Monty/Presby), so it is not like at some schools where you are always in the same place and so you bump into the PD more often. Overall, he is probably not the most personable PD, but exactly how much that matters is hard to say.

This is just my take as an MSIV at Pitt.

I am intern at Pitt and I remember interviewing and the Chairman at the time made this BIG deal how he was the only chairman in the country who makes personal phone calls for you come time for fellowship. Then I showed up for internship and the guy was gone! I didn't come to Pitt because of him but I was surprised that he was gone when I got here. Anyway, as the previous thread shows, I am sure they will hire a great chairman.

As for your second point, I think our class has a lot of camraderie even though it is large. At a recent impromptu happy hour there were about 17 interns there. We all seem to get together regularly, but as for the PD, I will say that you should keep in mind that there are many opportunities to get involved during residency which give you the opportunity to get to know the PD. I am talking about things like the housestaff council, professionalism council, honor council, social planning, etc., all of which give you some time to get to know the PD besides just during your mid-term eval. And so I say to you, in this case, size does NOT matter......

jazz79 said:
Hey There,

a) To answer your second point on the Chairman: They have 4 candidates who are coming back for second look, all very strong from what I hear from "insiders" and there should be a chairman maybe even as early as before the match. So by the time we'd be looking for fellowships there will be someone there to make the phone calls or pull for you.

b) To answer your second point regarding the PD. I think you do have a valid concern/point. He has been the PD for about 25 years! This is good (stability, must know tons of people nationally) and bad (stagnation) and he doesn't seem to have the zeal/energy that I have seen in a couple of other programs/PDs. But, when talking one on one with him (which I have done) he states that he will go to bat for you in terms of fellowship placement. Is it true?-I don't know. The program is now smaller (they cut it down to about 35) so I think he will know you pretty well, but it is true that the residents are in 3 different hospitals (VA, Shadyside for Cancer and Monty/Presby), so it is not like at some schools where you are always in the same place and so you bump into the PD more often. Overall, he is probably not the most personable PD, but exactly how much that matters is hard to say.

This is just my take as an MSIV at Pitt.