MD & DO Thoughts on School List? UsGPA: 3.28, postbacc: 3.75 - overall GPA: 3.34

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premed_beck

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am curious about what should be added/removed from my school list for MD/DO?

My background:
  • from Massachusetts
  • ORM
  • graduated in 2019, majored in Biology
  • undergraduate cGPA: 3.27, sGPA: 3.21 (upward trend towards my senior year)
  • post-bacc (16 credits) GPA: 3.75 and planning to take more credits, total goal is 32 credits
  • mcat: 507
  • research: conducted research in my undergrad, during my summers after sophomore year and worked for 2 years post-grad in a research lab as well so over 2000+ hours
  • clinical: shadowing mostly (100+ hours), wasn‘t able to get clinical experience due to COVID but working as a medical assistant now
  • volunteering: 200+ hours working in food pantry, Red Cross, volunteer student teacher
  • other ecs: co-chair of multicultural student organization, executive board on another
  • employment: worked in retail and at my school as a teaching assistant all 4 years of college. I worked 3 jobs during my senior year. again, research assistant post-grad and currently working as a medical assistant.
  • interests: internal medicine, family med, obgyn, anesthesiology, pm&r
I am planning to apply to MD/DO programs. My selection for MD schools was purely based on MSAR data where my GPA was in the 25th percentile (if I combine my uGPA and pbGPA).

DO:
  • ATSU
  • CCOM
  • UNECOM
  • Rowan
  • WVSOM
  • PCOM
  • NYITCOM
  • Tuoro - NY & Nevada
  • VCOM(s)
  • ACOM
  • MUSCOM
  • KCUCOM-Kansas City
  • Campbell
  • Des Moines
  • Marian
  • LECOM
  • Debusk
  • RVU
MD:
  • Indiana
  • TCU
  • UVM
  • NEOMED
  • UMass
  • EVMS
  • Tulane
  • Netter
  • Geisinger
  • Drexel
  • MCW
  • VTech
  • Rosalind Franklin
  • Loyola
  • Rush
  • Tufts
  • NYMC
Would love any feedback from everyone! Any advice will be appreciated (would love @Goro and @Faha for some advice as well, please). Thank you again everyone!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I’ll just say save your money and don’t apply to Rush. They expect, and they get, applicants who have hundreds if not thousands of hours from n all areas of service. You have nowhere near what Rush wants. Your GPAs are really low for MD schools. The average GPAs for matriculated MD IS students 3.7x for cGPA and 3.6x for sGPA. Your stats are okay for DO schools.
When are you planning to apply? Hopefully you are planning to apply next cycle. You could really buff up your application with another year.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi @candbgirl, thank you for your response. I forgot to mention that I am currently volunteering for the food pantry, Red Cross and a virtual opportunity. I do agree that my GPA is low but I’m hoping that my post-bacc will help supplement my rising trend. If schools were to look at my last 30 credits or so, my story would be very different than my overall GPA.

Hi @Faha! I am planning to apply this cycle (matriculate in fall 2022). Thank you!

Hi @Goro! Thank you so much for responding. Such an honor to have your input. Do you think is there any other schools I should consider for both MD/DO?

Albany
UIW
NYITCOM. AR

Thank you Goro for taking the time to respond! I really appreciate it. I would love to hear your thoughts on these other schools. What do you think about adding Temple, NOVA, OUWB, Wake Forest, Georgetown (I went to a Jesuit undergrad), WVU, Penn State University, or UWisconsin? Thanks again!

Thank you Goro for taking the time to respond! I really appreciate it. I would love to hear your thoughts on these other schools. What do you think about adding Temple, NOVA, OUWB, Wake Forest, Georgetown (I went to a Jesuit undergrad), WVU, Penn State University, or UWisconsin? Thanks again!
Not with a 507 MCAT