Thoughts on scores/cgpa, much appreciated!

1sight

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I would like anyone's input on my current stats as I plan on applying this year for fall 2013.
I'm Canadian and go to an Ontario university where the gpa is out of 10. I'll be entering my last (4th year) of undergrad with a 8.7/10 cgpa which converts to a 3.74 on a 4.0 scale according to OMSAS (a conversion table used for canadian schools). Ideally, I wanted to apply to Waterloo but after recently taking the OAT to meet the school's deadline to take it, I received three scores below 300 and the remaining three above, but still on the low side.

Bio -340
GC -310
OC -300
RC -290
Physics -290
QR - 280

TS -310
AA -300

Even if I retake it in 3 months, I do not think Waterloo will accept the new scores as it will have been passed the deadline. I do know I could have done much better!

Right now, I wonder if I should proceed with an application with a fairly competitive cgpa (I hope) and strong application, or if its too much of a long shot. I'm also interested in applying to NOVA and NECO but given the high tuition and living expenses, I definitely will have to reconsider. After the OAT, I don't know how high my chances are anyway but I could retake it for these schools.

Hoping for some feedback! Thanks! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Wow we have the same GPA. I would also like to get an answer for this question. I understand that high GPA high OAT is optimal, but I'm worried that my OAT score won't be as high as I'd like it to be.

Given my experience with the application process and conversation with several faculty members at Waterloo (I went to undergrad there), I recommend the following:
1. Speak to Waterloo about your situation. Visiting in person would be far more effective. They *might* accommodate you by accepting your retake, but don't count on it.
2. Regardless of their response, just apply to Waterloo anyway. You might have a shot if everything else on your app looks great.
3. Retake OAT: I used Kaplan MCAT Premier 2005-2006 ($10), Kaplan OAT book ($10), internet ($0), OAT Achiever (the 3-exams package). Do a lot of practice. I found that it's more helpful to do problems right from the start then learning from my mistakes, especially when there's not a lot of time.
4. If your new OAT is around 330~340 you're probably set for NOVA, NECO. However if you can't afford the tuition, then don't apply. I have a friend who applied to dental schools and after blowing $5000 on interviews and app fees, he found out he can't pay for the school he got in. If that's your case then I'd suggest wait a year before trying Waterloo again....

Thanks for your help!

Would anyone know if Waterloo grants interviews before looking at the OAT scores? Based on previous years and forums, I noticed that people were given interviews after they submitted the first part of application (without LORs). Also on their website it says the initial selection is based on grades and then they review the OAT, ECs and LORs.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow we have the same GPA. I would also like to get an answer for this question. I understand that high GPA high OAT is optimal, but I'm worried that my OAT score won't be as high as I'd like it to be.

Suprastang,

Are you also from Canada? How did the OAT go for you!

Hey I am also from Canada from the maritimes and got a similar score
I had
310 AA/ 310 TS

BIO:330
GCHEM:330
OCHEM:310
QR:290
PHY:290
RC:300

BUT YOU HAVE A WAY BETTER CHANCE AT GETTING IN THEN I DO BECAUSE YOUR GPA IS AMAZING! I only have a 3.1 and am a border line applicant at most schools, I only applied to 3 schools.