thoughts on smaller programs vs Univ programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AndyDufrane

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I was wondering if anybody would shed some light on pros and cons of smaller programs, I am trying to make up my rank list, and I keep having smaller programs in the the top 3(JFK, Sinai-Baltimore) but am beginning to feel that maybe I should keep it balanced and put a bigger univ programs like UM, or OSU in that tier just to , I am trying to figure out what the cons of smaller program might be...any thoughts?thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

I guess a smaller program would have less of a networking base when you graduate and are looking for a job. Gotta go with your gut though. Bigger doesn't mean better. I didn't consider program size when putting together my rank order. Good luck.

Hi everyone,
I was wondering if anybody would shed some light on pros and cons of smaller programs, I am trying to make up my rank list, and I keep having smaller programs in the the top 3(JFK, Sinai-Baltimore) but am beginning to feel that maybe I should keep it balanced and put a bigger univ programs like UM, or OSU in that tier just to , I am trying to figure out what the cons of smaller program might be...any thoughts?thanks in advance

I rotated at JFK and LOVED it so I don't think you should let size influence you that much but having said that, I guess in my opinion:

Pros: smaller class, more individual attention, can be a big fish in a small pond, more personal relationships with faculty members and PDs, probably will bond more with the whole class, sometimes more funding per resident to go to conferences, by books, etc. In the case of JFK, better personalized board preparation

Cons: Less people to cover you, possibly more frequent calls, smaller alumni network for jobs, fellowships, etc., if 1-2 ppl drop out or go on leave, you'll feel that effect more than in a larger program, 1 bad apple can ruin your whole experience (if there's one person you absolutely can't stand in your class of 4 ppl, things will be tense. but then again, smaller programs tend to really look at personality and fit more)

That's my 2cents.

Members don't see this ad :)
i am doing intern year at a small program and a 1-2 bad residents in a given year (or residents leaving which happened to a small program in the northeast) can create utter havoc.

also keep in mind that larger programs often have fellowships available in-house and as a prominent program director in the northeast may have said something to the effect that we take care of our own first, for whatever that's worth (kind of like the d-dimer being 250-500).

You can't go wrong with the university programs you listed...:laugh:

Seriously, pros to a smaller program would be more 'individual' attention in that you will be working more closely with a smaller faculty base so they will really get to know you and your skills. You will be able to do more re; procedures in that you won't be fighting off other residents or fellows.

Downside, smaller alumni base from which you can hear about/find job offers. Less resources available in regards to research, inter-department collaboration/teaching (it's nice to have Ortho/Ortho-spine, Neurosurg, Radiology, and Anatomy give us lectures/presentations during our anatomy course). No in-house fellowship opportunities, if you're interested. More call (less residents to spread the call around) Less 'name' recognition in your job hunt. No department-sponsored AAPMR meeting alumni get together (UMich was the loud one at the end of the hall :laugh: )

Hi everyone,

You may want to change your classification from smaller programs vs. University based programs, to smaller programs (# of residents) to larger programs (# of residents), as there are a number of programs with fewer residents but within a resource/opportunity rich university system and larger programs that may be separated (for all practical purposes) from their associated university hospital.