Sep 16, 2020
Status
  1. Pre-Medical
Hello, I am new to SDN. I know this type of question gets asked a lot but I was wondering if I could solicit some opinions on starting and MD/PhD at 32. I have a lot of research experience. I have a research-based Master's, a first-author publication, and 12 or so co-author publications in good journals (Most impact factors of at least 5, with one article under review at a high-impact journal). I currently work in a lab and I've reached about the highest position I can with my education. I'm grateful for my job and my lab is fantastic but I'm finding myself deeply unsatisfied and bored. I want to continue my education and was pre-med before I started doing research. Now, I'd like to revisit the possibility of going to medical school, but I'm also entertaining the idea of getting a PhD. I know MDs can do research and know about the differences between MD and PhD-based careers. I am having a very difficult time choosing between doing an MD or a PhD. I see positive and negative aspects to both. In my ideal world I would just do an MD/PhD program and get both degrees to give myself the maximum amount of career flexibility. However, my age is giving me pause, specifically because I do not have much financial support. I am concerned about living like a student for 8+ years, likely into my 40's. Is there anyone here who has started or is going to start an MD/PhD program later in life (or anyone else) that could offer some insight on their decision-making process? Thank you in advance.

Edit: I had originally posted this in the pre-med forum. Thank you to whoever moved it to this forum, which is more appropriate for my question.

Last edited:

Neuronix

Total nerd
Staff member
Administrator
15+ Year Member
Mar 14, 2002
the beach
Status
  1. Attending Physician
I wouldn't recommend it. I'm almost 40 and assistant professor on the usual timeline, and getting a career established as a physician scientist is incredibly stressful and barely possible even when things are going well. I'd try to pick one pathway if I were you. You can keep a hand in research if you want with an MD alone.

Reactions: 1 user

sluox

15+ Year Member
Jan 4, 2002
Status
  1. Attending Physician
Ditto. Get into medical school, pick a cush specialty, enjoy life. Do research for fun if you have the time.

Reactions: 1 user
Jan 17, 2013
Status
  1. MD/PhD Student
Would have to concur with the above responses. I am in the last year of my MD/PhD and am on the wrong side of 30. Doing simple math if you started now, you would at best case finish at 39 years, add on a PSTP for residency and you're looking at mid to late 40's of completing training. Additionally this also means you would be living a resident live style in your 40's. You've already completed your masters, you certainly have some experience in research under your belt. There are plenty of MD-only scientists out there with labs if you decide to go full-time research, I know of some personally who after medical school did a traditional post-doc and didn't do a residency. That being said, doing medical school still affords you the flexibility to do both whereas a PhD would not.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
About the Ads