Thoughts on this article?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cellpathology

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
http://act.mtv.com/posts/a-day-in-the-life-of-nicu-nurse-courtney-clark/

"And although physicians have more authority in some areas, it’s the nurse’s job to be a double-check on their care plans and make sure all the plans are right and safe for the patient. And of course, we also make decisions and nursing care plans ourselves, and those are very important for the patient’s survival,” she says."

Members don't see this ad.

Besides the fact the article is written at an 8th grade reading level........not much.

Nursing is a skilled profession and I like the idea of someone looking over my care plan and making sure there isn't a gross mistake.

Nurses are pretty smart and caring people. The fact that they spend all day/shift/week with the same patient means that they'll probably get to know the patient much better than the typical overworked resident or attending might. I'm not arrogant to think that I'm infallable, so agree with above that it's nice to have someone double check when you order 500 of metop instead of 50 @ 4am.

Reactions: 1 user