Thoughts on this?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ReesesDoc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all!

I am new to SDN, and had a question about something!

I am a third year medical student, I hope to match to ophalmology next year.

I have an extensive teaching background in biochemistry. I was approached by the author of a book called "Biochem for the Dental Boards." The author asked me to co-author/edit a medical version of this book.

This would take some time, but I think I can handle it without it affecting my studies.

Do you all think this would be helpful when I apply to ophtho? I think it would help me stand out as a more unique candidate, no? Or do you all think its a waste of time?

Thank you for your time!
ReesesDoc

Members don't see this ad.

Hello all!

I am new to SDN, and had a question about something!

I am a third year medical student, I hope to match to ophalmology next year.

I have an extensive teaching background in biochemistry. I was approached by the author of a book called "Biochem for the Dental Boards." The author asked me to co-author/edit a medical version of this book.

This would take some time, but I think I can handle it without it affecting my studies.

Do you all think this would be helpful when I apply to ophtho? I think it would help me stand out as a more unique candidate, no? Or do you all think its a waste of time?

Thank you for your time!
ReesesDoc

from what you're saying, doesn't sound like it would interfere much with your other obligations and it would look great on applications and CV. Do you have other research experience? Any ophtho related? How does the rest of your applications look?

No matter what, this would certainly not be a waste of time unless any of the above are really weak, in which case, may take away time from you strengthening other aspects of your application.