Thoughts on UIWSOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

healingwave

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a TX resident and was wondering if they will place more emphasis on in state applicants. With new schools, would they accept applicants with lower gpa/mcat scores? cGPA: 3.5 sGPA: 3.2 MCAT: 500 (retaking on August 4th)

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a TX resident and was wondering if they will place more emphasis on in state applicants. With new schools, would they accept applicants with lower gpa/mcat scores? cGPA: 3.5 sGPA: 3.2 MCAT: 500 (retaking on August 4th)
Based upon the historical behavior of other new COM's, I would say you have a shot as a TX resident. Be sure to weave in your essays that you have a strong interest to practice/remain in TX after graduation. In particular, the underserved regions in the state.

Reactions: 1 user
I think UIWSOM is a private institution, eliminating in state bias. I could be wrong however.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
I think UIWSOM is a private institution, eliminating in state bias. I could be wrong however.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
You are correct, UIW is private. However, many private COM's still have an in-state/regional bias which parallels their various mission statements. In many cases, its a tie-breaker. But a tie-breaker may be all you need in regard to applicant competition.

That's what I was concerned about. Also since they are a private institution, their tuition is considerably higher than the other Texas medical schools.

That's what I was concerned about. Also since they are a private institution, their tuition is considerably higher than the other Texas medical schools.
Plan A=UNTHSE/TCOM; Plan B (or C)=UIW

as a California resident, what about me? 3.27 cGPa, 3.11 sgpa and 507 MCAT? I submit my secondary last week and have gone on a mission trip to Honduras

@parpar2222

Why do you keep on restating that you have gone on a mission trip to Honduras? Your GPAs are on the low side but your MCAT is fairly strong so you have a shot at some of the new schools (focus on them). GL.

@parpar2222

Why do you keep on restating that you have gone on a mission trip to Honduras? Your GPAs are on the low side but your MCAT is fairly strong so you have a shot at some of the new schools (focus on them). GL.

Maybe that's one of his notable EC lol.

@parpar2222 what does your other ECs look like?

worked in 4 research labs, published an abstract, worked at the UC Davis medical center (80 hours), shadowing a D.O., volunteered in my local community, involved in Intramural Soccer, cultural coordinator for a year at undergrad and treasurer for grad school right now (for leadership stuff)