Thoughts?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

prowd2beloud147

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thank you for taking the time to read my post!! I got my MCAT score today and wanted to hear some thoughts about what everyone thought about my application stand point. If you read my previous threads, you might find some background information of my situation, but I'm going to keep it short and sweet for this thread.

September 2012 MCAT: 17 (7/5/5)

September 2013 MCAT: 28 (12/8/8)

Cumulative GPA: 3.21

Science GPA: 2.85

Non-Science GPA: 3.37

I have really good LOR's, a lot of volunteer, shadowed 100+ hours, cared for the ill, held medical fundraisers, and tutored. I was also dean listed the last 2 consecutive semesters while taking 20+ credits. I have a very upward trend. Basically started from a 2.0 the first 3 years (brief medical thing w/ mold exposure) then chugged my way back up.

*I know my science GPA is low and may be holding me back, but I'm taking classes and by the end of the semester I should have it at least a 3.1 (I know that doesn't help this cycle lol)!

*Lastly, I am also aware that my MCAT should be higher to combat my low science GPA, but just want to say I WILL NEVER BE RETAKING THE MCAT AGAIN! I

ALL OPINIONS ARE APPRECIATED!!

Members don't see this ad.

Get your sGPA above 3.0 and apply next cycle. Should have a shot if you apply early and broadly.

I think you have a great MCAT score to be competitive for DO school. If I were you I would take advantage of the grade replacement for DO schools and retake as many science classes as you can and apply next year. With a sGPA below 3.0 you'll just automatically get screened out pre-interview.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks guys! I'm definitely going to take advantage of grade replacement!

I think you have a great MCAT score to be competitive for DO school. If I were you I would take advantage of the grade replacement for DO schools and retake as many science classes as you can and apply next year. With a sGPA below 3.0 you'll just automatically get screened out pre-interview.

I mentioned I know I can do better on the MCAT and am not retaking it because sometimes there are arrogant posters on sdn and just go around putting people down, instead of giving useful criticism. I've actually seen someone tell the original poster to move onto to a different career and quit while you're ahead!!! :smuggrin::smuggrin::smuggrin::smuggrin::smuggrin::smuggrin::smuggrin::smuggrin:

11 points bump. That's a nice improvement. Good job OP!

Fix that sub 3.0 sGPA and you will get plenty of love

Thank you for taking the time to read my post!! I got my MCAT score today and wanted to hear some thoughts about what everyone thought about my application stand point. If you read my previous threads, you might find some background information of my situation, but I'm going to keep it short and sweet for this thread.

September 2012 MCAT: 17 (7/5/5)

September 2013 MCAT: 28 (12/8/8)

Cumulative GPA: 3.21

Science GPA: 2.85

Non-Science GPA: 3.37

I have really good LOR's, a lot of volunteer, shadowed 100+ hours, cared for the ill, held medical fundraisers, and tutored. I was also dean listed the last 2 consecutive semesters while taking 20+ credits. I have a very upward trend. Basically started from a 2.0 the first 3 years (brief medical thing w/ mold exposure) then chugged my way back up.

*I know my science GPA is low and may be holding me back, but I'm taking classes and by the end of the semester I should have it at least a 3.1 (I know that doesn't help this cycle lol)!

*Lastly, I am also aware that my MCAT should be higher to combat my low science GPA, but just want to say I WILL NEVER BE RETAKING THE MCAT AGAIN! I

ALL OPINIONS ARE APPRECIATED!!

Great upward trend. If you can get your science up to a 3.1and the cumulative to a 3.3. I think you will be good. My non-science gpa surprisingly brings me down and my science gpa brings me up. Most schools look at cgpa/sgpa, so I wouldn't look too much into nonscience gpa (not trying to be rude, just being honest)

Great upward trend. If you can get your science up to a 3.1and the cumulative to a 3.3. I think you will be good. My non-science gpa surprisingly brings me down and my science gpa brings me up. Most schools look at cgpa/sgpa, so I wouldn't look too much into nonscience gpa (not trying to be rude, just being honest)

thank you! I love the constructive criticism. My parents didn't graduate high school and this is one the places I come to get unbiased advice. Otherwise, I would be left with moms "your the most beautiful, intelligent girl in the universe." Lmao

^^haha :laugh:
Glad I'm not the only one. My mother eventually got her GED and became an LPN. But she always thought I was the most brilliant person ever.

Best of luck applying and getting that sGPA up!

fix the sgpa, and you're golden

sGPA has to be over 3.0. Shoot for 3.1-3.2 if possible.
cGPA as close to or greater than 3.4

Good MCAT improvement. If you apply early with a 3.1-3.2sgpa/3.3-3.4cgpa/28 you should certainly have some success.

Echo what everyone is saying about sGPA. Make it above 3.0

Sent from my SGH-T889V using Tapatalk