Thoughts...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dentalkid434

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello SDN community,

I have been doing a lot of thinking lately and figured I would make this post as a means of venting and hearing what you all think.

Sorry for the length...

As us all, my goal is to attend dental school and am applying this cycle. I have received e-mails from schools saying that my application was complete and ready for review a month ago. Some schools even mentioned that they will get back to me within 3-4 weeks with a decision. It has been over 4 weeks and still no word. A few of my college friends applied later much later than me and got many invites. My college pre-health advisor even contacted me yesterday and inquired about my status and was very surprised I still not receive any invites yet since all the other pre-dental students at my university did. We all had our committee letters submitted around similar times.

I decided to call in and inquire about the status of my application and see what they have to say about my application. I learned that my number one choice (state school) is completely booked until February, that Maryland looks down upon my RC score of 18, that Michigan expects a score of 19 on EACH section of the DAT and that my RC and QR do not make the cut. Most schools that I applied to have filled their pre-December slots....and most depressing of all is that my number one private school in which I admire their values and emphasis on research told me that they can not offer me an invite now (due to my RC score) and that I should call in again at a later time.

The truth is, I do not have a reading problem. If I did, I would not be able to maintain a decent GPA and be involved in three research projects in which reading scientific articles was essential in the advancement of the project. I speak 5 languages and I guess that may have affected my reading score. the reading section on the DAT was also timed and I like to absorb what I read for the sake of application, not visually map keywords in passage and reference back (which is what the DAT aimed to accomplish IMHO.

I am very sad and discouraged. Hopeless actually. I feel as though all that effort and hard work that I invested in maintaining a competitive GPA was pointless and that a 60 minute section that is not a true reflection of my reading abilities practically dictates whether I will lose a year.

I am heartbroken.

Here is the complete thread of my stats for reference:
http://forums.sdn.net/showthread.php?t=957676

Thanks for reading my vent!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
That's a pretty skinny list of schools. And your application wasn't complete until October.

That's a pretty skinny list of schools. And your application wasn't complete until October.

Bingo...don't know why you are whining. You should be grateful if any school gives you an interview.

Members don't see this ad :)

The schools noted in the post are just the ones I called in earlier today and my application was complete on 9/24, but I submitted as 5th batch. There are quite a number of people I know who applied later than me got 3 invites already.

Last edited:
haha wow ppl are being so mean to you on this thread. dont take mean comments seriously on here.
yea i know ppl who submitted in sept and have 3-4 interviews as well. yes sept is "late" here on the sdn community, and maybe (probably) in real life too.....but i dont think thats your problem. and i dont think your 18 rc is your problem either....at least not paired with a 22 ts and a high sci gpa like yours. seems weird

The schools noted in the post are just the ones I called in earlier today and my application was complete on 9/24, but I submitted as 5th batch. There are quiet a number of people I know who applied later than me got 3 invites already.

I was just looking at the original 7 you listed on the other post. Are there more?

The truth is, I do not have a reading problem. If I did, I would not be able to maintain a decent GPA and be involved in three research projects in which reading scientific articles was essential in the advancement of the project. I speak 5 languages and I guess that may have affected my reading score. the reading section on the DAT was also timed and I like to absorb what I read for the sake of application, not visually map keywords in passage and reference back (which is what the DAT aimed to accomplish IMHO.

You don't have a reading problem... but your RC and QR shows that you're not great at reading comprehension and problem solving under pressure. If this cycle doesn't work out, find some way to improve those two sections on your DAT and apply earlier.

The schools that you've called all cite your weakness as your low RC (the most important section of the DAT btw, as it correlates to verbal IQ-your gpa and the other sections you could just grind your way to success). Your stats are getting you screened out so your ECs can't come into play.

Last edited:
Take the feb invite to your state school, keep in touch. If someone drops a date let them know you want to be contacted. If they waitlist you from the late interview date be ready for it and maybe be prepared to retake the DAT to get that RC score up, a good DAT retake can push you off a waitlist. This is what I was thinking of doing...for my late interview date at my state school. It's obviously not a sure thing but if you had to reapply you'd be all set. And I think we both have the same state school...haha.

Take the feb invite to your state school, keep in touch. If someone drops a date let them know you want to be contacted. If they waitlist you from the late interview date be ready for it and maybe be prepared to retake the DAT to get that RC score up, a good DAT retake can push you off a waitlist. This is what I was thinking of doing...for my late interview date at my state school. It's obviously not a sure thing but if you had to reapply you'd be all set. And I think we both have the same state school...haha.

Thanks for the advice....and yes, I think we are both targeting Buffalo :--)

...the only issue is that I still did not get an invite from them, or any school ad that is why I am heartbroken :/

Thank you all for your suggestions and support - they are very much appreciated!

Applied to 11 schools in total think it is worthwhile to add more at this stage?

What other schools did you apply to besides the ones listed? I would consider adding Tufts since they just started their interviews.

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you apply to NJ? My friend got in with an 18 AA. If not, add it now! =]

Keep your chin up. It's a waiting game at this point, but all will be well. Best of luck to you this cycle! :thumbup:

I decided to call in and inquire about the status of my application and see what they have to say about my application. I learned that my number one choice (state school) is completely booked until February, that Maryland looks down upon my RC score of 18, that Michigan expects a score of 19 on EACH section of the DAT and that my RC and QR do not make the cut. Most schools that I applied to have filled their pre-December slots....and most depressing of all is that my number one private school in which I admire their values and emphasis on research told me that they can not offer me an invite now (due to my RC score) and that I should call in again at a later time.

I've seen SDNers receive invites from both of these schools even though their scores were below the cutoffs. Don't give up hope just yet! It's not over till it's over.:)

:cry::cry: ... another day with no invites.....

Thank you all for the support though!

:cry::cry: ... another day with no invites.....

Thank you all for the support though!

dunno about you but i have 7 invites so far with my stats.. with 18 QR 18 BIO

and NO you should not re-take DAT. You just need to apply to more schools!

Look below

btw i applied to 50 schools.. maybe thats why

btw i applied to 50 schools.. maybe thats why

:wow:

I do not even want to know what your AADSAS fees were. And supplemental fees. My bank account hurts just thinking about it. More power to you, though. Looks like it's working out for you.

Wow, that is incredible. Unfortunately, I would have to sell a kidney to apply to as many schools.

Think it is too late in the process to add a few others?

I applied to the following:

UPenn
Columbia
NYU
Buffalo
Maryland
Michigan
Boston
Temple
Stony Brook
UMDNJ

Last edited:
NYU looks like a good bet - have you heard from them yet?

Don't be depressed. If this cycle doesn't work out, there is always next cycle. I'm not telling you that you won't get in - because what do I know? - but I'm giving you the worst case scenario. You'd have to reapply. Big deal? In that time you can travel, retake the DATs, maybe take a few courses at your university that interest you. No shame. So just keep telling yourself that no matter what the outcome, everything will be okay and life will go on.

Give it time, be patient, and most of all don't worry - you'll give yourself an ulcer and that ulcer can't give you an interview. Enjoy life, have a drink, relax. Like everyone has told you (some posts more gentle than others), right now it's a waiting game. There is nothing you can do to up your 18 or make your application get submitted earlier. These events have passed and now we're looking towards the future!

Wow, that is incredible. Unfortunately, I would have to sell a kidney to apply to as many schools.

Think it is too late in the process to add a few others?

I applied to the following:

UPenn
Columbia
NYU
Buffalo
Maryland
Michigan
Boston
Temple
Stony Brook
UMDNJ

I think you might hear back from schools like Boston, NYU, and Temple within the next couple of weeks but probably for post-Dec interviews.

You need to be more patient. You have lots of time. Don't trip about what others are getting right now......

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=771370

I wrote this thread 2 years ago when I applied around the same time as you. As you can read, it took a few months for schools to get around to me...........