Thread Closures

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Commando303

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wonder how the members of this forum generally feel about the closing of threads. Do you believe it shouldn't ever happen? If not, what do you feel justifies a locking?

Initially, I thought I might run this as a poll, but it might be better just to have a discussion.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I wonder how the members of this forum generally feel about the closing of threads. Do you believe it shouldn't ever happen? If not, what do you feel justifies a locking?

Initially, I thought I might run this as a poll, but it might be better just to have a discussion.

Thanks.

Well, since I'm the one who closed them I'll give you my reasons for it.

Both of the threads closed recently had run their course. The last several messages in each thread did nothing to advance the story of the thread, particularly the "optometry is dead" thread. In essence, everything that could have been said, had been said.

In the thread about the OD overtesting, the original poster was long gone. There was a reasonable debate about the merits of offering those types of tests as screenings but it then turned into an anecdotal tit for tat about ophthalmologists doing unnecessary surgery and ODs doing unnecessary testing.

In the optometry is dead thread, it was basically the same thing. Everything that could have been said had been said. The thread was far too long for anyone in the future to garner anything useful from it without having to slog through dozens and dozens of posts that contained little more than insults. If someone thinks they have something to add, I would suggest starting a new thread and maybe we can keep that one on topic. As I indicated to another frequent poster via PM, I think I should have closed that thread about a week ago.

I don't generally think closing threads is desireable. However in both of those recent cases, there was nothing left to be said aside from insults.

I think KHE's actions are very appropriate especially on the optometry is dead link. It was just getting to be a personal attack on people back and forth...not what was needed. The other post overtested to death actually was interesting but was starting to deviate from the OP's question etc.. though I thought it was interesting stuff nonetheless. However I can understand that the posts should be somewhat consistent with the OP posting...

Members don't see this ad :)
I think KHE's actions are very appropriate especially on the optometry is dead link. It was just getting to be a personal attack on people back and forth...not what was needed. The other post overtested to death actually was interesting but was starting to deviate from the OP's question etc.. though I thought it was interesting stuff nonetheless. However I can understand that the posts should be somewhat consistent with the OP posting...

If you want to have a debate about screening tests, we can start a new thread....

What is a screening? That term seems to be used differently for different situations. We don't screen 17 year old boys for prostate cancer. But we do for example, do a confrontation visual field on 17 year old boys.

Is that a "screening?" A screening for what? If we feel 17 year old boys need some type of visual field screening for whatever it is we're screening for, should we do for example, an FDT which I think most people would agree is more accurate than a confrontation test. Is it worth having a $6000 machine to do these types of screenings?

And here comes the million dollar question. Or the $20 or $25 question. Should we CHARGE extra for an FDT screening?

We can start a new thread and have this debate. But please.....if we do.....let's not start with anecdotes about ophthalmologists doing cataract surgery on 20/25 patients or convincing people who are monocular ARMD patients to get multifocal implants. And let's tell anecdotes optometrists who sell OPTOS screenings etc. etc.

The "Optometry is Dead" thread produced a lot of action but had limited informative value. An intellegint discussion of problems is ok but it doesn't need to be embellished or dragged down into ignorance and name calling. Also, after a while it was apparent that it was just being bumped to keep it at the top of the forum and draw more attention to it.

There are really only two forums where Optometry people hang out (that I know of). One mostly has a certain kind of OD and most of them there have a strong bias against pre-optometry people (as well as commercial ODs). That’s why pre-optometry people don’t really hang out there. No one there really wants to help them anyway. So when some people (at least one of which admits to hanging out on the other forum) come here and post things just to purposely dissuade pre-optometry people from going into the profession then that kind of crosses a line and also threatens to trash these forums which is really the only place left where pre-optometry people can collaborate in mass.

That’s why I think it’s worth it to draw a line some where when the negative back and forth gets to be ridiculously excessive. I also think that readers should watch out for people who only post the exact same kind of posts from the first day that they create their user id here. One of these guys showed up here complete with a link to a custom made anti-optometry youtube video in his first or second post and has never strayed from that topic since. I'm sorry, but that just can't be considered an honest, normal poster. They also discourage genuine posters like that person DILLIGAF from posting here much which is a real shame.

11,633 people were entertained-- for free.

'Jersey Shore' and 'Desperate Housewives' are on cable.:D

One of these guys showed up here complete with a link to a custom made anti-optometry youtube video in his first or second post and has never strayed from that topic since. I'm sorry, but that just can't be considered an honest, normal poster. They also discourage genuine posters like that person DILLIGAF from posting here much which is a real shame.

So, netmag, should everyone ignore anyone on this forum who consistently welcomes people to the profession? Clearly, anyone who has a uniform opinion is not worthy of credibility, right? Why on Earth would someone have to stand on both sides of the line in order to be considered credible?

Two things are worth mentioning; first, netmag is a pharmacist, not an OD and I continue to fail to understand why he spends so much time on this forum. "I know someone who is interested in optometry school" just doesn't seem to hold water. Second, I'm the guy who posted that link to the "custom made, anti-optometry" video. To clarify, it's not an anti-optometry video, it's a "this is a side of optometry you probably won't hear about from your OD school recruiter." If someone who is considering an OD watches it and decides to take a little closer look at the profession than they otherwise might have taken, then its served its purpose. Have you even watched it? Tell me what you disagree with on in the presentation, if you'd like.

While the "Optometry is Dead" forum did have quite a bit of "hot air" in it, there was a lot of constructive information on both sides. That being said, it should have been closed many posts before it actually was, I doubt anyone disagrees on that point.

Also, to say that I "never strayed from that purpose?" Read some more of my posts, you'll see that you're wrong on that point. However, I "genuinely" believe that an OD is a poor investment for many people who are starting OD programs right now and I have logical reasoning behind my sentiment. If you disagree with me, that's your pharmaceutical opinion, to which you are completely entitled. There are many other (actual) ODs who see a lot of truth in what I say.

Last edited:
LoL.....why are people so immature on the internet?

PS. This thread should be locked. ;)