Thread for the average and below average applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
stinkycheese said:
The ****ing SUNY's are no longer showing preference to in-staters because they want to be number ******. It's a real letdown for those of us who have dedicated ourselves to staying in NYS and practicing medicine at home; I have ties to one of the SUNY's that are probably going to be considered worthless given my very average application.

GPA: 3.45
BCPM: 3.47
MCAT: 34

Why do you consider your application average? I'm not being facetious- I just don't see why you'd consider those numbers average. Also, are you sure that the SUNYs are no longer giving in-staters preference? Maybe they let a few more out-of-staters in since funding has been cut. However, I'd be surprised if they were letting in a massive number of out-of-staters.

Members don't see this ad.

daisygirl said:
Why do you consider your application average? I'm not being facetious- I just don't see why you'd consider those numbers average. Also, are you sure that the SUNYs are no longer giving in-staters preference? Maybe they let a few more out-of-staters in since funding has been cut. However, I'd be surprised if they were letting in a massive number of out-of-staters.

My overall GPA is not bad- but my transcript is full of holes. Full, I tell you. It's all lies, damned lies, and statistics. I will not look good on paper to these people. And my LOR's are probably only average. Not very good. EC's are good, MCAT is good, but that's about ALL I have going for me.

I know that at least one of the SUNY schools no longer shows ANY preference to NYS residents.

It blows.

stinkycheese said:
My overall GPA is not bad- but my transcript is full of holes. Full, I tell you. It's all lies, damned lies, and statistics. I will not look good on paper to these people. And my LOR's are probably only average. Not very good. EC's are good, MCAT is good, but that's about ALL I have going for me.

I know that at least one of the SUNY schools no longer shows ANY preference to NYS residents.

It blows.

Which SUNY are you talking about?

Try not to stress too much. However, that is easier said than done- I remember what it felt like going through the med school admissions game. I had 'holes' too in my transcript (a few W's, changing majors, taking longer than the average person to graduate- keep in mind though that I worked full-time for years during undergrad, I attended a CUNY, etc..). My MCAT sucked too- 27Q. I was told by a few people that I should retake the MCAT or apply to DO schools since it wasn't likely that I'd get into an allopathic. Well,
I ignored them. Thank goodness I did- I applied to 13 schools (no reach schools though), interviewed at four and was straight out (meaning not wait-listed) accepted at three. I pulled my application out before a decision was made at the last school since I knew I'd never attend that school. In case you are wondering, I am not a URM. So, moral of the story- it can be done.

I think your numbers are very good. Write yourself a kick arse personal statement (that addresses your blemishes, being careful not to whine about them). Stay positive, and good luck :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Cerbie, your baby momma is proud of you! You'll be laughing at yourself in a year when you're deciding which school to go to!

3.6 GPA (both) and 29P - 29 applications - 1 - count it, *ONE* acceptance....and I'm taking it to the top, a la Jerry Maguire.

You're applying to GW? *sniffle* we could be classmates!

daisygirl said:

Try not to stress too much. However, that is easier said than done- I remember what it felt like going through the med school admissions game. I had 'holes' too in my transcript (a few W's, changing majors, taking longer than the average person to graduate- keep in mind though that I worked full-time for years during undergrad, I attended a CUNY, etc..). My MCAT sucked too- 27Q. I was told by a few people that I should retake the MCAT or apply to DO schools since it wasn't likely that I'd get into an allopathic. Well,
I ignored them. Thank goodness I did- I applied to 13 schools (no reach schools though), interviewed at four and was straight out (meaning not wait-listed) accepted at three. I pulled my application out before a decision was made at the last school since I knew I'd never attend that school. In case you are wondering, I am not a URM. So, moral of the story- it can be done.

I think your numbers are very good. Write yourself a kick arse personal statement (that addresses your blemishes, being careful not to whine about them). Stay positive, and good luck :D

Thanks for writing. Inspiring story of your success! I am trying to put the finishing touches on my PS now and then just send thispuppy off and hope for the best. It is good to hear that this CAN be done.

The SUNY I was talking about is Upstate. :( Come to think of it, though, how many people could really stad the winters other than Upstate natives? So probably not that many out-of-staters go anyway!

All of you guys are not average. I am an average applicant. My MCAT score is just at the apex of the bell curve and my undergrad GPA is about a 3.34. Hopefully my MS will help out as well as my EC (I'm currently in Beijing doing stem cell research at the countries #1 med school :D ). An another thing, I would consider myself one of the crazy out-of-state applicants applying to SUNY. I'm a Texan, so you can immagine what a change that would be.

hi,

thought I'd throw myself into this crazy, crazy mix.

gpa: 3.74
science gpa: I think around 3.6
mcat: 29O

I'm happy with my gpa, but mcat is just average. my mom actually said after hearing my scores, "So we waited that long to find out your average !" My EC's are okay, but I didn't do research, go to India, blah, blah, blah. Basically 20 hours a week for 2 years of athletic training.

so what schools should an average gal like me consider? For sure:

U of W-Madison
MCW
U of MN-Twin Cities
and probably DMU for my sole DO app, maybe one other.

I was looking at Chicago schools, maybe GW, other than that, I have no idea. maybe 12-15. just applied for a new 0% APR credit card today!!

Thanks all you average folk,
April

Anyone here applying to both DO and MD??
I know I could look this up in DO forum, but .....is it true that upon being accepted to DO there is a hefty (~$3000) non refundable deposit? I heard they do this because they know people use DO as backup. Is it also true that they give acceptances relatively early because they want that deposit? I am not saying I blame them for this, but just curious. Us average applicants may look stellar to DO!

akpete said:
hi,

thought I'd throw myself into this crazy, crazy mix.

gpa: 3.74
science gpa: I think around 3.6
mcat: 29O

I'm happy with my gpa, but mcat is just average. my mom actually said after hearing my scores, "So we waited that long to find out your average !" My EC's are okay, but I didn't do research, go to India, blah, blah, blah. Basically 20 hours a week for 2 years of athletic training.

so what schools should an average gal like me consider? For sure:

U of W-Madison
MCW
U of MN-Twin Cities
and probably DMU for my sole DO app, maybe one other.

I was looking at Chicago schools, maybe GW, other than that, I have no idea. maybe 12-15. just applied for a new 0% APR credit card today!!

Thanks all you average folk,
April

Where do you go to school fellow wisconsinite...

I have those schools as well, you can PM me for all my other out of state schools.

Cerbernator said:
So where are you guys applying?

I've applied to:

UVM
UVA
UTENN
Tulane
UMICH
Temple
Rochester
NYU
NYMC
Albany med
Einstein
Mt Sinai
Penn State
GWU
Stanfurd

UConn(in-state)
UVM
Tufts
BU
Albany
NYMC
NYU
Einstein
Mount Sinai
UMDNJ-RWJ
Drexel
Jefferson
Penn State
GWU
Finch
5 osteo schools as well...

I have a 2.6 GPA for my freshman year. I guess I had a little too much fun this year... I was calculating my scores and realized I would have to get near a 3.8 for the next three years to get my GPA up to a 3.6. I go to a very good and chalenging school so I can tell you right now that that is not going to happen. I didn't study this year so im thinking if I actually put in a good effort I could easily get about an average of 3.6-3.7 for the next three years (I had a 3.8 in highschool). The problem with this is that that will leave me with a graduating GPA of about 3.3-3.4 (if I took about 13 or 14 hours each semester). I am a South Carolina resident and want to go to MUSC. I really don't know what to do. I feel like I have already killed my chances and I just finished my Freshman year of college. Any suggestions? Any suggestions for starting MCAT review (I have a feeling I'm going to have to get at least over a 32 so I might as well start now).

thanks,
EGHS :cool:

I'm kind of in the same position..which schools were you accepted to? were they your state schools?

daisygirl said:

I'm talking about Stony Brook. I recently spoke with someone who would know and found out that they are increasing out-of-state acceptances as well as URM's (Stony Brook has a really high Asian population). Stony Brook is a very research oriented school and they want to increase NIH funding. When I was applying, I spoke with a doctor who knew people on the Adcom there and was told that with my numbers I should have a pretty good shot at getting an interview, but I would be a definite if I was Asian or a URM. Needless to say, this annoyed the hell out of me.

SUNY Downstate or Stony Brook were probably my number one choices before I began the application process because of the monetary savings and location. However, after this application cycle, the SUNY system as well as NY State as a whole left me with a bad taste in my mouth. I (my family) have been paying incredibly high property taxes here on Long Island and the very least they could do is give me an interview at my state school especially since I had such a strong affliation with Stony Brook (my mom is an employee and I have done numerous things at the school since I was a high schooler) before I even began the application process.

As a result, I will most likely end up not practicing in New York State, but I will miss Long Island.

stinkycheese said:
The ****ing SUNY's are no longer showing preference to in-staters because they want to be number ******. It's a real letdown for those of us who have dedicated ourselves to staying in NYS and practicing medicine at home; I have ties to one of the SUNY's that are probably going to be considered worthless given my very average application.

nooooooooo-oooo-oooooo! ::kicks and screams on floor:: number wenches!! that sux a big one... :(

my avg numbers:

GPA: 3.49
BCPM: 3.3ish
MCAT: 28Q (two of 'em)

avg and somewhat inconsistent EC's, good recs. aye... i just wanna stay in NY and go to med school here!!

ForensicPath said:
SUNY Downstate or Stony Brook were probably my number one choices before I began the application process because of the monetary savings and location. However, after this application cycle, the SUNY system as well as NY State as a whole left me with a bad taste in my mouth. I (my family) have been paying incredibly high property taxes here on Long Island and the very least they could do is give me an interview at my state school especially since I had such a strong affliation with Stony Brook (my mom is an employee and I have done numerous things at the school since I was a high schooler) before I even began the application process.

As a result, I will most likely end up not practicing in New York State, but I will miss Long Island.

talk about a stab in the back.. =(

Interesting forensic path...I am from LI and graduated from stony brook health science center - thought my chances there were grim since I am now a CT resident (could not take 495 traffic anymore!!), but if they are taking out of staters things are looking up. But as far as moving off the island, it's not so bad, I get to live on the sound in CT, something impossible to do on LI unless you are on the fortune 500 or something.

cytotech27 said:
But as far as moving off the island, it's not so bad, I get to live on the sound in CT, something impossible to do on LI unless you are on the fortune 500 or something.

Very true. CT is definitely on my list of possible places to live in the future because of its proximity to NYC (I love being able to visit NYC whenever I want without having to live there). However, the beaches in CT do not come close to matching the beaches on LI. You can get close to the sound for a reasonable price (reasonable for LI standards, anyway), but if you want to live directly on the water, be prepared to be very rich (they don't call it the Gold Coast for nothing). You could also put a house on Dune Road and place bets on how long it will stand before it gets taken out by the ocean during a nice storm.

Honestly, I really don't hold a grudge against NY. I'm actually doing some things at Stony Brook this summer before I start med school. I'm more or less being facetious, but my point is that nothing is a sure thing in this application process. That goes for both acceptances and rejections. Who knows, maybe if I applied to Johns Hopkins my application could have struck a nerve with an Adcom member there, although I highly doubt it. A good sized majority of the applicants to med school are qualified, which is where the whole "crapshoot" comes into play. No one should become over-confident or discredit themselves before they apply. Doing so just makes the application process that much worse to bear.

ARRRGHHH!!!! If you have a 3.8 GPA and 29MCAT, you ARE NOT an average applicant. Go play in some other thread.

My story:

Freshman year 2.6cum GPA/2.0 science GPA

Now entering senior year/applying with 3.3 cummulative GPA and 3.2 science GPA.

35 MCAT

Currently applying early decision at my state school (U of Kansas)... it's a little bit of a long shot, but I'm hoping my strong EC/LOR's and MCAT will make up for the GPA.

If no go with early decision, I'm applying:
U of Kansas (regular decision)
Creigton
SLU
Albany
Tulane
Case Western (reach... but gf's dad is on adcom...)
GW
Tufts
Baylor
and a few more that haven't been decided yet

Also a few DO schools:
KCUMB
KCOM
OSU
OU-COM

32O - MCAT
3.26 Overall GPA
3.54 BCPM

Less than stellar EC's, some research. I'm about 90% sure I'm going for a masters before applying, to strengthen my app. Basically, my ec's are what hold me back (other than overall gpa), besides working as a pharmacy technician for a couple of years, I have nothing clinical to show. I'd appreciate suggestions though.

DirtySouthMD said:
32O - MCAT
3.26 Overall GPA
3.54 BCPM

Less than stellar EC's, some research. I'm about 90% sure I'm going for a masters before applying, to strengthen my app. Basically, my ec's are what hold me back (other than overall gpa), besides working as a pharmacy technician for a couple of years, I have nothing clinical to show. I'd appreciate suggestions though.

hey dirtysouth, I think you are more than fine with your stats...you haven't done ANY clinical? maybe you should work on the clinical aspect of your application, but to get a master's would be a waste of time and most importantly money....save it, you'll need it for med school. Good luck from a fellow south american!