Three-headed scope?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vkrn

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Have seen now two folks with a Welch Allyn three-headed scope--

Is it worth it? I can barely find it online when I did a quick Google search.

Members don't see this ad.

It's called the Harvey Triple-Head, designed by eminent cardiologist W. Proctor Harvey. The third head contains a corrugated diaphragm, used for "surveying" the precordium prior to tuning in using the bell or flat diaphragm. The corrugated diaphragm attenuates the higher-pitched sounds, accentuating the midrange.

Is it worth it? That's up to you. It's a great-sounding stethoscope, but it's also quite a heavy piece of acoustical artillery to carry around. I suppose this could come in handy if anyone tried to mug you in the parking lot. ;)

The Harvey Triple-Head is available online from several sources, including Steeles, Allheart, and Miami Medical.

TYCOS5079-321.jpg

I guess maybe it's not worth it, because now my question is: What are you surveying the precordium FOR? This is not a gratuitous question! Trying to figure this out.

Members don't see this ad :)
I guess maybe it's not worth it, because now my question is: What are you surveying the precordium FOR? This is not a gratuitous question! Trying to figure this out.

Recommended reading: Classic Teachings in Clinical Cardiology. He talks about it there.

I don't use the Harvey Triple Head, but rather the Harvey Elite. I prefer the flat diaphragm over the corrugated one for general auscultation.

Don't believe the earlier posts, You have to buy this scope!!!! After a simple modification, (I refitted my cell phone camera) into one of the heads! Now I use it to do quick anoscopy on every patient during morning rounds. The patients are sometimes puzzled and ask why a cardiology consultant is (and should) be doing this. I just explain that it lets me look at the posterior of the heart.
If you are going to do this, make sure you use the corrugated head (for their pleasure), also the stethoscope still works as a cell phone....

Actually, I would recommend the Littmann 3000 instead.:idea:

I use it to do quick anoscopy on every patient during morning rounds. The patients are sometimes puzzled and ask why a cardiology consultant is (and should) be doing this. I just explain that it lets me look at the posterior of the heart.

You must get this a lot... ;)

old-age-heart-physical.jpg