Three letter chain to ??? Pharmacy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

robin2nightwing

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I currently work at a three letter chain as a tech. I got accepted to pharmacy school for the fall of 2017. I really don't see myself working the pharmacy I'm at now as a pharmacist and I would like to work at Walmart or grocery chain. I'm not a fan of how cvs treats their employees and the metrics are beyond crazy.
So my questions are:

1. Should I intern at cvs or apply to other pharmacies as well?
Or should I wait to apply to another retail chain until I graduate pharmacy school?

2. How easy is it to learn the computer system from one store to another?

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I currently work at a three letter chain as a tech. I got accepted to pharmacy school for the fall of 2017. I really don't see myself working the pharmacy I'm at now as a pharmacist and I would like to work at Walmart or grocery chain. I'm not a fan of how cvs treats their employees and the metrics are beyond crazy.
So my questions are:

1. Should I intern at cvs or apply to other pharmacies as well?
Or should I wait to apply to another retail chain until I graduate pharmacy school?

2. How easy is it to learn the computer system from one store to another?

Thanks in advance!

1. If you don't want to work at CVS, why would you intern there? Find work where you could see yourself working as a pharmacist....most people get their jobs nowadays from the company they worked at in school. Good luck landing a grocer or Wal Mart job right outta school if you never worked there....

2. As hard as it was for you to learn CVS's system when you started there.

Did you not read the thread right above yours about 4 fake job openings at Walmart in the whole state of Georgia? I would consider yourself lucky if you are even offered a job at CVS in 4-6 years. My district hired like 3 grads last year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you not read the thread right above yours about 4 fake job openings at Walmart in the whole state of Georgia? I would consider yourself lucky if you are even offered a job at CVS in 4-6 years. My district hired like 3 grads last year.
They were just at my school, asking people to apply to for intern positions and told our class that company is growing and they got lot of opportunities. I know that might not be true for pharmacist position. Many of my friends are working for them in hopes of getting pharmacist position after graduation. So OP, if I were you I would suck it up and continue working for them..

I wouldn't burn any bridges, but would seek out opportunities else where. Remember your first job out of pharmacy school doesn't have to be your last one. If you are flexible to move, you can find a job outside of cvs. There are still jobs out there, but you will have to search for them and be flexible with location. Be prepared to get licensed in multiple states or work in a very rural town.

On interns.. I have seen companies hire 25 plus interns only to leave them sitting on their butts with empty pockets at graduation.( 25 interns hired 5) internships are important for networking and experience, but don't put all your eggs in one basket. They might not hire you.

You're 2 years too early to be asking these questions, honestly

They were just at my school, asking people to apply to for intern positions and told our class that company is growing and they got lot of opportunities. I know that might not be true for pharmacist position. Many of my friends are working for them in hopes of getting pharmacist position after graduation. So OP, if I were you I would suck it up and continue working for them..

Those are all lies just like the ones the president of APhA or whatever says about the critical need for pharmacists in the country. Larry Merlo gave a speech at our school and a student asked about the job market and he answered that there are plenty of rph jobs everywhere. Straight up lie.

Be an intern at the place you want to work as a pharmacist, obviously you have to be realistic. For example an independent pharmacy probably will not hire their intern... and I heard Kroger doesn't even hire interns at all anymore (not sure if this is true).

Be an intern at the place you want to work as a pharmacist, obviously you have to be realistic. For example an independent pharmacy probably will not hire their intern... and I heard Kroger doesn't even hire interns at all anymore (not sure if this is true).

In AZ, Fry's( Kroger) has already hired pharmacists for their new stores in advance so I don't think they will be hiring anytime soon.