Three-piece suit for interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sean Lee

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have an interview next week, should i wear a three-piece suit? Or is it too formal? I recall someone here saying that you shouldn't wear three-piece suits.

Any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

I have an interview next week, should i wear a three-piece suit? Or is it too formal? I recall someone here saying that you shouldn't wear three-piece suits.

Any advice?
I have been wearing a three piece suit and I like it, it looks nice. Just wear it with confidence, if you can't lose the vest

Reactions: 1 user
Might be too formal. Just go with business style. Nothing wrong with a normal suit. But I have seen a couple people on the trail wear a three piece, as well as the opposite - people not even wearing a tie or slacks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Three piece, two piece, or sport jacket + tie, it's all good.

Sean, your post made me think of a tech in the lab where I did my PhD. She always told me that she was a sucker for a man in a Brooks Brothers suit. I was thinking about getting one for my thesis defense when a friend of mine pointed out "It's not like she's going to say 'Oh goro, that suit....do me!'"

So I went to the Men's Wearhouse instead, and saved >$200.

Any advice?

Reactions: 9 users
After doing some broad research regarding job/school interview dress, I am going to stay absolutely safe and wear a two-piece suit (aka losing the vest). I'll save the three-piece suit for later occasions where more formality is needed.

If only medical school admissions were like an episode of Mad Men.

Sean just make sure to have your suit tailored. Makes a huge difference in presentation

Sean just make sure to have your suit tailored. Makes a huge difference in presentation

Thanks. Went to the Men's Warehouse and got a tailored three-piece suit. I almost don't want to lose the vest, since I really like the way I look in a full three-piece suit.

Thanks. Went to the Men's Warehouse and got a tailored three-piece suit. I almost don't want to lose the vest, since I really like the way I look in a full three-piece suit.

I second Goro's comments.

I will also add that I have always loved the way men look in well fitting three piece suits. Very sharp. :)

I second Goro's comments.

I will also add that I have always loved the way men look in well fitting three piece suits. Very sharp. :)
Yes it is a very classy look that keeps the tie in place and hides wrinkles in the shirt as the day goes on, make sure the vest fits as well