Jan 15, 2014
Status
Non-Student
I have an interview next week, should i wear a three-piece suit? Or is it too formal? I recall someone here saying that you shouldn't wear three-piece suits.

Any advice?

cdistel

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 10, 2008
Asheville
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
I have an interview next week, should i wear a three-piece suit? Or is it too formal? I recall someone here saying that you shouldn't wear three-piece suits.

Any advice?
I have been wearing a three piece suit and I like it, it looks nice. Just wear it with confidence, if you can't lose the vest

Reactions: Sean Lee

Awesome Sauceome

SDN Gold Donor
Gold Donor
5+ Year Member
Oct 30, 2013
In a pine tree
Status
Non-Student
Might be too formal. Just go with business style. Nothing wrong with a normal suit. But I have seen a couple people on the trail wear a three piece, as well as the opposite - people not even wearing a tie or slacks.

Reactions: Sean Lee

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
Three piece, two piece, or sport jacket + tie, it's all good.

Sean, your post made me think of a tech in the lab where I did my PhD. She always told me that she was a sucker for a man in a Brooks Brothers suit. I was thinking about getting one for my thesis defense when a friend of mine pointed out "It's not like she's going to say 'Oh goro, that suit....do me!'"

So I went to the Men's Wearhouse instead, and saved >$200.

Any advice?

OP
S
Jan 15, 2014
Status
Non-Student
After doing some broad research regarding job/school interview dress, I am going to stay absolutely safe and wear a two-piece suit (aka losing the vest). I'll save the three-piece suit for later occasions where more formality is needed.

cdistel

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 10, 2008
Asheville
Status
Sean just make sure to have your suit tailored. Makes a huge difference in presentation

OP
S
Jan 15, 2014
Status
Non-Student
Sean just make sure to have your suit tailored. Makes a huge difference in presentation
Thanks. Went to the Men's Warehouse and got a tailored three-piece suit. I almost don't want to lose the vest, since I really like the way I look in a full three-piece suit.

Reactions: cdistel
Jun 12, 2014
Thanks. Went to the Men's Warehouse and got a tailored three-piece suit. I almost don't want to lose the vest, since I really like the way I look in a full three-piece suit.
I second Goro's comments.

I will also add that I have always loved the way men look in well fitting three piece suits. Very sharp. :)

Reactions: cdistel

cdistel

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 10, 2008
Asheville
Status
I second Goro's comments.

I will also add that I have always loved the way men look in well fitting three piece suits. Very sharp. :)
Yes it is a very classy look that keeps the tie in place and hides wrinkles in the shirt as the day goes on, make sure the vest fits as well