Step II Three questions if you've got a minute

Started by kedhegard
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

kedhegard

Senior Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
1. Is Step 2 adaptive (harder as you go if you're doing well)?


2. PTCA or tPA first for MI w/o contraindications?


3. Allcomers included...first line therapy for HTN? (I've read ACE-I's vs Lasix)


Thanks for any help. Just some stuff I can't seem to find a definite answer about.
 
kedhegard said:
1. Is Step 2 adaptive (harder as you go if you're doing well)?


2. PTCA or tPA first for MI w/o contraindications?


3. Allcomers included...first line therapy for HTN? (I've read ACE-I's vs Lasix)


Thanks for any help. Just some stuff I can't seem to find a definite answer about.

1. No. There are some tweaks but adaptation isn't one of them.

2. MKSAP 2 says PTCA if you are in a major tertiary care center, otherwise tPA should be fine.

3. For isolated systolic HTN, consensus seems to be thiazide diuretics.
 
1)Agreed
2)Agreed
3)Agreed

took step2ck 6/22. still waiting on scores...



kedhegard said:
1. Is Step 2 adaptive (harder as you go if you're doing well)?


2. PTCA or tPA first for MI w/o contraindications?


3. Allcomers included...first line therapy for HTN? (I've read ACE-I's vs Lasix)


Thanks for any help. Just some stuff I can't seem to find a definite answer about.
 
3. Allcomers included...first line therapy for HTN? (I've read ACE-I's vs Lasix)

depends, if pt has DM, then ACE-I's are first line, if pt has a hx of prior MI, then beta blockers are tx of choice. for the most part, thiazides are first line, especially with no other co-morbidities.
 
eddoc said:
3. Allcomers included...first line therapy for HTN? (I've read ACE-I's vs Lasix)

depends, if pt has DM, then ACE-I's are first line, if pt has a hx of prior MI, then beta blockers are tx of choice. for the most part, thiazides are first line, especially with no other co-morbidities.

Thiazides are also good if you have a little old lady with osteoporosis.

PTCA if at a tertiary center (or, apparently, within 30 minutes of one); just make sure you give the patient clopidogrel, ticlodipine or somesuch med (I've even seen abciximab) as well as the usual stuff.

If you have a diabetic you are considering for PTCA...go for the CABG. Restenosis rates are higher in diabetics.

And t-PA + IV heparin is better than either one alone (and beware the old man s/p intracranial hemorrhage...its amazing how well my brain skips over details like that when I'm reading a question the size of a novella).