1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

three questions

Discussion in 'Step I' started by BrisketAttack, Jun 6, 2008.

1. BrisketAttack

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    1. regarding antibiotic choice for various bugs, how does one decide to use one antibiotic over another? e.g. ampicillin, second gen ceph, and fluoroquinolone all kill e.coli according to FA. which of these drugs do you use? this same question could be extended to any of the many bugs that can be treated with multiple antibiotics. i've noticed qbank questions that describe a certain bug, then ask which antibiotic to use, only there are several options that seem appropriate.

2. when do people tend to stop doing questions and focus solely on review? 1 week before the big day? a few days before?

3. is FA sufficient for cephalosporins, or should we remember all of those listed in CMMRS?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. lilnoelle

Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Well, my school gave a list of first choice drugs.... i.e. first choice for gonnococcus is Ceftriaxone, first choice for most atypical pneumonias is erythromycin, first choice for Syphilis is Penecillin G, first choice for Staph a is nafcillin, first choice for MRSA is vancomycin, first choice for Rickettsias or Lyme disease is Tetracycline, and so on.

Your generally not going to treat an E coli infection with an antibiotic anyway.... I doubt that'll be one thats asked.

4. SOUNDMAN

SOUNDMAN Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Huh? Even a UTI?

5. jbp100

jbp100 Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    RE: atypical pneumonias.... On my test yesterday there was a Mycoplasma TX question with no macrolides to be found!!!! You actually had to know the "second line" ABX (Tetracycline). :(

6. Mediculous

Mediculous The Verbal Herman Munster
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Were all the other answer choices drugs that targeted cell walls?

7. lilnoelle

Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Yeah.... your right. I was thinking of diarrhea.
    My list doesn't have much for UTI's.... just TMX/SMP. It also mentions Tetracyclines and Nitrofurantoin, but doesn't break down the different UTI bugs and what to treat them with.

8. Mellifera

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    UTI's are almost always treated w/ either TMP-SMX or cipro. For the mycoplasma one, just remember that tetracyclines cover chlamydia, (so always co-administer when treating for gonococcus), atypicals, zoonoses, & insect-transmitted bugs.