three-year dental school?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ULTRON

No Food And Drinks in Lab
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone heard of three-year dental schools? I've heard about them somewhere....but where I don't remember. Do they exist?

ULTRON

Members don't see this ad.

UOP is the only 3 years D-school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello. Thanks for the replies :)

I'll apply to UOP for my DDS. Is there anyone here who applied/got accepted to UOP? UOP DAT scores are kind of "high". The average AA: 21, PAT:19, Science: 21.

Here are my stats:

AA:18, Science: 18, PAT:18.

Undergrad school & degree: Univ of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (Spring 2004), Electrical Engineering,

Overall GPA: 3.3, Science GPA: 3.8/4.0.

The best part is, I'll apply REALLY early...this summer..because I'm doing nothing these days. What are my chances of getting in?

thanks!

ULTRON

I would have a few backup schools or else retake the DAT. I believe UOP requires a 20 on all sections of the DAT to be considered for an interview (or something like that, I can't remember the specifics). This has been discussed many times. Do a search for it.

you have a slim shot with those scores. retake the dat

UOP has a VERY strong emphasis on the DAT. That's not to say you can slack on the GPA, but their reputation with admissions is heavy DAT.

We should somewhat add the "what are my chances into the FAQ as well....I think this is THE most Frequently Asked Question. Despite it's subjectivity, we should be able to answer that solidly.

Hello..thanks for the replies,

You know, I could retake the DAT (and if you all insist..i WILL retake it), but that will be the 3rd time I'll be taking it! I took an 18 the second time with only 3 hours of Bio (hey, I was an EE major)...but now I have like 12+ bio hours.

Would retaking the DAT the 3rd time matter? I mean...its kinda scary.

I have backup schools: UIC and SIU (I'm IL resident)...but I like the 3 year program.

ULTRON

Adcom has informed my school that 17+ is all they're looking at, but then again, I'm at UOP undergrad. I'm sure non-UOP students would be held at higher standards, but if you apply early with strong LORs and a strong personal statement, I believe you'll make it even if you don't re-take the DATs, but that's just me.

Hi,

Can you tell me....if I retake the DAT the third time, would that be looked down at? I'm free in the summer, I'm hoping to do good this time...

thanks

ULRON

I got in at UOP in January, GPA Science 4.0, Overall 3.95, DAT 23, 23, 21 (PAT). It is getting tougher and tougher to get in at UOP. It is a very compatative, highly clinical school, 3 year program. Here is what it says on UOP's web site FAQ:

Q: Are my Dental Admission Test (DAT) scores competitive?

A: Our incoming class averages are:

Academic average 21
Perceptual ability 19
Reading comprehension 21
Quantitative reasoning 19
Biology 20
General chemistry 21
Organic chemistry 22
Total science 21

Although our general minimum acceptable score is 16 on all scales, competitive scores this year were 20 and higher. If your scores are significantly lower than our class averages, you should retake the Dental Admissions Test (DAT) before December 2004.

All the best friend!