Throwing Away My Calculus Stuff

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pharm2Bee

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been admitted into pharmacy school. Will I need my calculus notes or books while in pharm school?

Is there anymore math involved?

Members don't see this ad.

I've been admitted into pharmacy school. Will I need my calculus notes or books while in pharm school?

Is there anymore math involved?

It obviously differs from program to program, but I haven't touched calculus material yet in my first year. The only math we encountered is pharmacy calculations which, depending on the prof, can be real simple algebra-like work or somewhat confusing with difficult formulas. I've talked with the class above me and none of them have touched either their calculus or physics. I would hang on to them just in case for a few years. If you get into school and ask the upper classes about it and they say you don't need them, have a bonfire and celebrate never having to touch it again! :D

The pharmacokinetics course will use a little calculus. But you could survive without the book if you remember the concepts well. I don't have my calculus book but I know plenty of places to borrow one if needed.

Pharmacy calculations at my school involved basic algebra mostly.

Members don't see this ad :)
Kinetics needs calc II.

We don't use any calculus throughout the curriculum. We survived pharmacokinetics without any calculus. Calculus is a weed-out course.

Kinetics needs calc II.

If second semester calculus were required in pharmacy courses such as kinetics, nearly all pharmacy schools would require it. This not being the case, I don't understand how students in this position would even fare well in kinetics with one semester of calculus. Perhaps, your school is different and demands the use of calculus in kinetics not out of necessity, but perhaps to intensify the academic experience.

It sounds like it depends on each institution's curriculum. I'd check with the school to be sure. You may even find someone on their pharmacy class thread that has addressed this issue or may know the answer.

I guess my pharmacy school is just more intense ( i actually think it is, i've looked at cinci's classes for P1).

If second semester calculus were required in pharmacy courses such as kinetics, nearly all pharmacy schools would require it. This not being the case, I don't understand how students in this position would even fare well in kinetics with one semester of calculus. Perhaps, your school is different and demands the use of calculus in kinetics not out of necessity, but perhaps to intensify the academic experience.

good because I hate calc