Step II Thyroid nodule, TSH/T4 normal. What now?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Freddie Mercury

Bismillah! No, we will not let you go!
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Getting mixed answers from my sources.

34 year old woman comes in, nodule noted on thyroid. TSH and T4 ordered, within normal range.

USMLE-Rx says next step would be ultrasound (QID 21413). UpToDate seems to agree. However, MTB2 (and I believe UWORLD as well, although I can't find the Q) say the next step would be FNA.

Wat do
 
I think U/S would be a better choice before performing an FNA. We want to properly assess the nodule and see the anatomy of it, also look for any other nodules which could be present. UpToDate says the next step should be FNA if someone with nodule has normal thyroid test results. Maybe they are talking about a U/S-guided FNA directly?
 
Last edited: