Tier 4 School for Undergrad/Pre-Med?

Started by codyt
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

codyt

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was wondering if it would be a bad idea to attend a Tier 4 school for undergrad? It's Coastal Carolina University and it's cheap (I'm in-state) and near family friends. It's not my first choice but if cost becomes a problem at the University of South Carolina then it'll probably be where I end up going. I'm just curious of there would be anything that would hurt me in admissions to medical schools based off me going to a Tier 4 school.
 
Just keep up your GPA and rock the MCAT. You may run into disadvantages like there being no research to participate in-- when things like that come up, be proactive and find opportunities elsewhere in the summers. Also, be ready to explain the circumstances of you going to this school-- costs, proximity to family, etc.

But otherwise, no one can argue with a 4.0 gpa and high MCAT. Just go out of your way to find research and shadowing/extracurriculars if there aren't many available at your school.
 
No, you shouldn't have a problem with it..

As the above poster said, maybe problems with researching and ecs, but there is always stuff to do during summers for research..

And every school as some type of health club, etc..

For med school you'll take out thousands and thousands of dollars for loans though, so don't be afraid to go wherever you feel more comfortable during undergrad. You can always take out loans..
 
I was wondering if it would be a bad idea to attend a Tier 4 school for undergrad? It's Coastal Carolina University and it's cheap (I'm in-state) and near family friends. It's not my first choice but if cost becomes a problem at the University of South Carolina then it'll probably be where I end up going. I'm just curious of there would be anything that would hurt me in admissions to medical schools based off me going to a Tier 4 school.

Go to college where you think you will be happiest.

Get good grades and study for your MCAT. When it comes to applying to medical school school name may matter slightly, but far less than other things.

Once you get there just be sure to stay involved and do more than just school. Find community service opportunities, see if there is a free clinic in the area where you can volunteer your time, look into volunteering at a hospital.

Do what you find interesting. If you have a passion for music then stay involved in music. If you have a passion for working with underserved then do community service. If you're involved with a particular religious group or ethnic group - do work with your community.

College name will matter much less than being an interesting applicant who did well enough on their MCAT and GPA.