Time an issue on Step 2?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rachana

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I felt very rushed on each section when I took Step 1. For those who have taken Step 2 already, how did you feel the time crunch/management was compared to step 1? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

rachana said:
I felt very rushed on each section when I took Step 1. For those who have taken Step 2 already, how did you feel the time crunch/management was compared to step 1? Thanks!

Hi there,
I took more time for Step II but I finished within the allotted time. I found myself finished the blocks with just enough time to go over the answers and that was about it. The questions are a bit longer than those on Step I (finished in six hours) so be prepared to read efficiently. Other than that, I was not rushed.

njbmd :)

njbmd said:
Hi there,
I took more time for Step II but I finished within the allotted time. I found myself finished the blocks with just enough time to go over the answers and that was about it. The questions are a bit longer than those on Step I (finished in six hours) so be prepared to read efficiently. Other than that, I was not rushed.

njbmd :)

I second that. The only time I got into trouble where I had to really rush through stems at the end of a block was when I had been stubborn about a particular question and spent too much time on it.

I usually finished with 4-5 minutes to go back through my checked items again.

I took the full hour for each block and my full break time. I needed it. :) Nine hours of pure fun...

I didn't find time to be an issue at all--- I usually had anywhere from 5 to 10 minutes left on each section to go back and review the questions that I had flagged for that section.

The key is to be confident, if it's an easy question then mark the answer and move on, don't waste any time on questions you know, that way you'll have time for the ones that stump you. Also, I found that even on the tough ones I could narrow it down to two choices, use the strike out feature to get rid of the other options, pick the answer that your gut says is right, flag the question to come back to and then move on. DO NOT WASTE TIME STARING AT THE SCREEN. When you come back to it later you won't have to consider the options you know are wrong AND the time away from the question may give you some clarity as to what the right answer is.

Hope it helps!

Members don't see this ad :)
another thing to remember is skip the tutorial, you can look at it on the cd they mailed you. This won't give you more time to answer questions, but it will give you more break time. I was wishing I had more break time about half way through the test. I had to choke down my lunch in like 8 minutes to have enough time.

Thanks for the input! What's the deal with the wipe-y boards, marker, etc? How did that go down? I am taking it on Fri, thus the detailed anal questions... :)

rachana said:
Thanks for the input! What's the deal with the wipe-y boards, marker, etc? How did that go down? I am taking it on Fri, thus the detailed anal questions... :)
You use it to make calculations (statistics, anion gap, compensation for metabolic disturbances,etc). I remember I had a question on Step 1 about pharmacodynamics (loading dose or maint. dose, something along those lines). I'm taking Step 2 on Saturday, so the question doesn't seem so anal on my end. Good luck! :thumbup:

rachana said:

Didn't use the board for all that much-- you have to write your confirmation number on it to sign back into the test after your breaks.

I used it to calculate an A-a gradient, maybe an anion gap, not much else, wastes too much time. But essentially it's yours to scribble whatever you need to.

Hope it helps

Yup 46. I think the test used to be 400 questions and was chopped down to around 370, so they just pulled out 4 questions per section.