Time between application is complete and interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ecbarber

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
my applications have been complete to all of
the schools to which i have applied since early september. i have confirmed this with the schools twice now. how long does it take from the date that my file is completed to the date that i receive a yes or no for an interview? i have only one interview scheduled. is this normal???

Members don't see this ad.

ecbarber,

It depends on your essays, scores, medical experiences, etc... Who did you apply to? Some schools are partial to in-state or regional residents only. I need more info on yourself.

I applied to 13 schools total and I have only recieved interviews from 5. No rejections yet. However, since my file has been complete I've discovered that 4 of the schools aren't favorable to non-residents. Oh, well. My files were complete around the 3rd week of Sept. I recieved interviews within about a week or two of my file being completed. Some came later than that.

DocGibby

[This message has been edited by DocGibby (edited October 16, 1999).]

thx Docgibby. I applied to MSUCOM, TUCOM, PCOM and CCOM. I'm an Ohio resident, been out of undergrad for two years so my MCAT scores are from 8/96. I verified that that MCAT date was ok with the schools for applying this year. I've been working at Procter &Gamble for 2 years since I graduated doing research in Health Care and I've shadowed 3 D.O.'s for the past year. Did a research internship with Children's Hospital for one year, lots of volunteer with inner city school kids in a program called Youth Alive at the museum all through college, 3.5 GPA, 8B, 8P and 10V MCAT, hospital volunteer for 4 years during undergrad, Bio + Chem major, study abroad program in France my junior year, clubs, student council. If there is anyhting downsided on my appl, I think that it's the older MCAT scores....and I am not looking forward to having to take it again...but will if i have to. ugh&)&%!

Members don't see this ad :)
Frustrating, I know.
My app was finished third week of September and the two interviews I received were dated six days from the date of completion. Wow I think.
The rest have not let out so much as a peep. I am still waiting.......
Don't be concerned until a rejection is mailed.

------------------
From one thing learn 10,000 things..
-Miyamoto Musashi

ecberger: It depends. If they (the schools) like you they will interview you ~2-3 weeks after app completion. If they're "not sure" they will put your file aside and look at it again 2-4 weeks later. If they REALL HATE you they will give you "the boot". So relax. They might interview you anytime now to march.

------------------
Ryan
Western U/COMP Class of 2004
thedigitaldoctor.com

Say,rhillstr, the exact same thing happened to me!
This is the wrong site to visit if you are waiting to hear from Universities. It seems like almost everybody here is already in some school or have at least 5 interviews!

Nav, I agree with you.

This place can be very tough if you are waiting, waiting and waiting.... ever so valiantly for those interview invitations to come. It's not healthy to read of ALL the interviews that others have received in early September and how they needlessly say they had to turn down X amount just to bolster their fragile ego. If you are real lucky, they will continue by generously divulging their MCAT scores (45), gpa (4.0) and volunteer hours (3 million). What makes these people so much better than me? Obviously they are not very genuine and could care less of others. They know there will be applicants who have strived all of their life to become a physician that have not received any interviews and are begining to question their chances of "getting in." I think it is crap!
Although most members are extremely helpful, there are the few that will make your life hell. These few are the ones that IF they had a job as a CNA at a hospital would treat others as inferior because, THEY WEAR SCRUBS. They also go into the supermarkets fully clothed in surgery green scrubs and somehow forgot to take off their name tags.

Those of you who may not have received an invite yet, HANG IN THERE. Be yourself and if for some reason you don't make it this year, DON'T GIVE UP. My favorite quote comes from the movie The Untouchables, "Never Quit the Battle Until the Battle is Won." I've modified somewhat.

------------------
RYAN
UHS 2004

IDAHO: You silly boy! The highest I've seen in hours volunteering is ONLY 2million!
smile.gif

------------------
Ryan
Western U/COMP Class of 2004
thedigitaldoctor.com

idaho,

do not even complain about people who work in the hospital as cna's. i have worked at a hospital for two years now and let me tell you it is going to make me a better docotor because i know i can work with patients and dotors and nurses and it is not an easy job to clean up crap and draw blood and change beds and whatever else. i do not feel i am superior, i am just trying to pay for school and i do know that i like working with patients which is something that someone who volunteers will never understand. it is very different to just voulnteer or to wipe butts and take vitals. i also know i will never treat the aids like crap and respect all the stuff they have to do, becuase i am one. sounds like you are the one with the problem. its not my fault if you didn't try hard enought to get a job at a hospital or feel it is beneath you.

ecbarber:
Do not worry about it. Your deficiency in one area cannot/does not/will not have any bearing on your ability to become a good physician. When you go to interviews, sell yourself . . . talk about your achievements and successes. Your scores do not depict your academic potential. Your dedication to humanity speaks for itself--in the areas of service you are already involved with. Mark my word--you will get into med school. Do not give up, and don't let anyone discourage you.

Peds,
You're Awesome! I NEVER SAID ANYTHING ABOUT THE EXPERIENCE OR KNOWLEDGE ONE OBTAINS FROM WORKING AT A HOSPITAL. Obviously you missed the whole point of my post. I agree that the knowledge obtained is an arsenal of power that will better help you understand your future patients and co-workers.
Just to make a point, I don't have a problem with working in a hospital. I've worked as a phlebotomist and a CNA in the Transitional Care Unit since 1996. Above that, I have been exposed to medicine all of my life. It is the people who work in health care facilities with the "me" mentality that I have a problem with. The patient should always come first. Those that think they are something special just because they work in a hospital are commiting a severe injustice to their patients.

------------------
RYAN
UHS 2004

Careful IDAHO, insulting nearly 90% of the people on this website with your little rant is not a good way to make friends.

By the way, if you want to know someones bio's so that you can compare to your own why don't you ask? (I'll think you'll find that the avg GPA is around 3.3 and an avg MCAT of 26). Divulging that information without being asked is called bragging and that's why the majority of us don't discuss it. We do however discuss interviews when somebody asks. The reason for this is that we can hopefully meet up with each other at the interviews and make lasting friendships.

DocGibby

Frankly, IDAHO, I'd question people who, as you put it...
have strived all of their life to become a physician that have not received any interviews and are begining to question their chances of "getting in."

Can you say "too narrowly focused"? How about "calm down"?

Oh, and by the way, here is my self-serving, 3.6GPA, 35R MCAT signature...

------------------
-PB (Western Univ./COMP '04)

"Never give in, never give in,
never, never, never, never..."

-Sir Winston Churchill, 1944