time btw. comlex 1 and usmle 1?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

daact

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How far apart should I take these exams?

thx...

Members don't see this ad.

daact said:

thx...

2-3 days.

This is from a current DO intern at an ACGME EM residency that graduated from my school last year.

daact said:

thx...

I hear 1-2 weeks thrown around alot. I just registered to take COMLEX-I on May 30th and I'm probably gonna take the USMLE on June 8/9th. That should be enough time to flush out the OMM and review biochem/molecular bio, epi/biostats, and behavioral sciences for the USMLE.

I took 12 days between the COMLEX and the USMLE. I took the COMLEX first because then I could let all of the OMM float out of my brain and let the cell bio and genetics in. :) At VCOM we were required to take the COMLEX Oct 11-12 and then just had to have the USMLE completed between August and December.

Members don't see this ad :)
I preferred taking USMLE first, then COMLEX. I studied hard for 4wks, took USMLE, during next 5wks brushed up on OMM and reviewed the FA.

vcom2007 said:
I preferred taking USMLE first, then COMLEX. I studied hard for 4wks, took USMLE, during next 5wks brushed up on OMM and reviewed the FA.

Same here...took USMLE 4 weeks prior to taking the COMLEX. I thought it was the best approach too.

are you actually required to write both exams? Just curious.

smgilles said:
Same here...took USMLE 4 weeks prior to taking the COMLEX. I thought it was the best approach too.

only if you want to have a better shot at being compared to the other apples out there for allo residency (apples = allopaths), otherwise you might hear something about comparing apples to oranges on the inteview trail (oranges = osteopaths).

so if you're looking at a competitive field for an allo residency it is generally recommended that DO's take the USMLE as well to eliminate a potential concern from the PDs.

OSUdoc08 said:
2-3 days.

Have you taken the COMLEX and USMLE already?

OP: I took 10 days in between COMLEX and USMLE, I took COMLEX first, then flushed out all the OMM stuff and read up on biostats, pathophys, mol bio. No matter what anyone says, they are two different tests and will focus on different things in medicine. So take the time to shift gears mentally to accomodate the different focuses.

tkim6599 said:
Have you taken the COMLEX and USMLE already?

OP: I took 10 days in between COMLEX and USMLE, I took COMLEX first, then flushed out all the OMM stuff and read up on biostats, pathophys, mol bio. No matter what anyone says, they are two different tests and will focus on different things in medicine. So take the time to shift gears mentally to accomodate the different focuses.

This is from a current DO intern at an ACGME EM residency that graduated from my school last year.

tkim6599 said:
Okay, so you didn't take it yet. Thanks for the clarification.

That doesn't really change the validity of her opinion, now does it?

OSUdoc08 said:
That doesn't really change the validity of her opinion, now does it?

Well, if you really want to get right down to it, I asked because:

1) I was genuinely curious as to whether you'd taken the boards yet, being a MSII and it being only December of your second year.

2) If it wasn't based on *your* own experience, perhaps it would be prudent to make that abundantly clear in your original post, so you wouldn't look like a total smartass.

tkim6599 said:
Well, if you really want to get right down to it, I asked because:

1) I was genuinely curious as to whether you'd taken the boards yet, being a MSII and it being only December of your second year.

2) If it wasn't based on *your* own experience, perhaps it would be prudent to make that abundantly clear in your original post, so you wouldn't look like a total smartass.

you mean you haven't read any other of OSU's post. He loves to interject his comments into every page.