Time constraints of med school and residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Matt Norman

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well, hello. you guys are proabably getting tired of seeing my name. Anyway I jave another question. I know that the time constraints in med school and residency are great. However, is it still possible to still have a little social life and a happy family life? I really want to be a doctor but I don't want to miserable for the next 10 years. What good is being a doctor if I lose all my friends my family hates me, and I'm overall unhappy. Thanks again folks.

Matt

------------------
Love God, Hate Sin

Members don't see this ad.

Matt,

Certainly med school requires a total commitment in terms of time organization and a good work ethic. However, most students do have personal time. In fact, we have been told from Day One to not let school take over our entire lives. Relationships, marriages, friendships, sports, hobbies, etc. -- all are important and should not be tossed overboard to squeeze in a few more hours per week of studytime. You may not have as much time for these as you did prior to med school, but if you stay on top of your studies, it should be possible to have a real life outside of the classroom.

I spend about 4-6 hrs/day studying (not including class and labs) and still manage to have time for working out, my SO, reading for pleasure, etc.