Time & Effort vs. Test Length

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cobragirl

Hoohaa helper ;)
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, so call me crazy but I am getting REALLY sick of studying TONS of material only to get stuck with a 30 question multiple choice exam!!! As all current med-students know, the MC exams are NOT typical of the kind you may have encountered in undergrad. They DO try to trick you, and they DON'T put obvious wrong answers for you to eliminate. So basically, you get this pretty tough exam that you can only miss TWO questions on before you're out of "A" range. Personally, I think there should be a MINIMUM of 50 questions on an exam so you at least have a somewhat fair chance of getting a decent grade.

I know there are people out there that really get off on studying (literally) every moment of the day, and these people probably DO get all 30 right. But personally, I'm married, I have a dog, and I like to wear clean clothes and eat a couple times a day. I think if I study consistantly (which I do) and carefully (I do that too) I should be allowed to miss more than 2 stinkin' problems before I'm deemed as "less than A" material! With the amount of material that is thrown our way (and in Neuroanatomy, the number of professors too) I want MORE of an opportunity to show that I HAVE studied and that I DO know what's going on! I mean really, they can pull test questions from all over the place, yet we're given a test that is so short that it can't possibly test the true depth of our knowledge....

Okay, I'm done....does anyone agree with me or do you think I'm just flat-out crazy for wanting a longer test? I just figure that for all the time & effort that I put into studying, I should have an exam that takes me more than 15 minutes to complete......

Members don't see this ad.

I feel for you Cobragirl. It does seem ridiculous to have so many hours of work and sleep deprivation for a measly 30 questions.

I am now very glad that we generally get 50+ MC questions on exams. (Neuro requires 96% to get an A, so we also only get 2 questions--out of 50--to get wrong).

I'm sure you'll do great on your exam tomorrow...and the best part will be that it's over! :-D Good luck with the last minute cramming...and, of course, on your exam!

smurfette
:)