Time for a new job

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Opinions are like... you know. I think I could live anywhere, but I'd live almost anywhere in CA before I would live in LA. For background, I grew up near and spent a lot of time in LA. Much of my family is there so I still have to spend a lot of time there.

Is there great weather? Yes, if you ignore the smog. Are there nice beaches? Yes, especially if you live near them. Is there great food? Yes, if you can afford it, as a night out at even an ok restaurant easily sets you back $100 per person. To me, nothing makes up for the terrible traffic or terrible cost of living. You also get nothing for your money- houses are generally old and small. Due to stupid tax assessment rules no one improves their houses to avoid increasing their taxes, so unless you are in Beverly Hills most neighborhoods look like a dump. Public transit is non-existant because the city is too spread out.

Now, Laguna Beach? Sure. Oceanside? No problem. Irvine? OK. But any closer than that and it's no thanks from me.

Lol where do you go to eat at an “ok restaurant“ and pay $100 per person. You don’t need to spend that much money for an ok meal. I’ve been there many times and an ok meal can be had just like anywhere else 10-20$.

There are a bunch of nice neighborhoods but then again you have to pay a lot for a little like you mentioned. I guess there’s a trade off just like in any big city.

You def would have to have a pretty good salary to live comfortably in LA.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
And what about the culture? Isn't LA full of shallow, materialistic semi-literates with breast jobs?

Members don't see this ad :)
Lol where do you go to eat at an “ok restaurant“ and pay $100 per person. You don’t need to spend that much money for an ok meal. I’ve been there many times and an ok meal can be had just like anywhere else 10-20$.

There are a bunch of nice neighborhoods but then again you have to pay a lot for a little like you mentioned. I guess there’s a trade off just like in any big city.

You def would have to have a pretty good salary to live comfortably in LA.
Pretty much any sushi restaurant in the city.

Rancho deluxe: Washington MO - Don't discount the shores of the mighty Missouri river with a local distillery and the corn cob pipe manufacturing capital of the world! You get to select the suckling pig you will butcher that night from the farmer's field. 1 hour from STL airport. Only starbucks is inside target and always a long line.