Time for family?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SerenaRN

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How much time are you able to spend with your children while in the last two years of med school? I am interested in it, but don't quite know how it would work with trying to be there for my family. I am 24 years old, married, and my husband mainly stays home with our children. Another question, will I be able to get enough in loans to support my family while I have no income?

Any ideas, comments, or suggestions from people who have been in a similar situation?

Thanks,

Serena

Members don't see this ad.

1. NO studying on weekends during 3rd (and 4th) year = 15 hours/week.
2. Minimal studying during week during 3rd (and 4th) year = 20-30 hours/week.

THM: I have a wife and 2 children < 2.5 yoa. I am 24 yoa. Plenty of time for family, friends, exercise, movies, sports, etc., during 3rd (and 4th) year. I've made >>90th percentile on ALL Shelf exams during 3rd year. If you study during the first 2 years of medschool, the rewards are plentiful during the last 2 years in terms of grades and time off.

Screw it....first and foremost, MAKE time for family. Family is MUCH more important than medicine.....you'll find a way if you want to....

SerenaRN said:
How much time are you able to spend with your children while in the last two years of med school? I am interested in it, but don't quite know how it would work with trying to be there for my family. I am 24 years old, married, and my husband mainly stays home with our children. Another question, will I be able to get enough in loans to support my family while I have no income?

Any ideas, comments, or suggestions from people who have been in a similar situation?

Thanks,

Serena

Part of it depends on what you want to specialize in. Some residencies are very competitive to match into and you have to study/work harder 3rd year to ensure as many honors as you can. So if you want to do derm, ortho, ent, neurosurg and the like, it will take a bigger toll on your family life.