Time for reads

Started by MPSIII
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

MPSIII

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi, does anyone have a good sense of how much time it takes an attending to read all the various types of study on average? It's tough to get a sense as an MS because most of the time spent with attendings, they're teaching, interacting, asking questions, etc.

I tried searching the forums to see if this was addressed, but searching 'read study time' returns pretty much every thread ever started.
 
Hi, does anyone have a good sense of how much time it takes an attending to read all the various types of study on average? It's tough to get a sense as an MS because most of the time spent with attendings, they're teaching, interacting, asking questions, etc.

I tried searching the forums to see if this was addressed, but searching 'read study time' returns pretty much every thread ever started.

Why do you want to know?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Meh, just curious to hear maybe from someone who's gotten pretty good at it how long it takes them. I spend most of my free time on my various other rotations looking through my patients' images just for fun, and can easily spend 30 min looking at a single advanced study looking at every structure/slice in depth. I'm just wondering how long it will take when I'm doing it with efficiency in mind, and not doing it just for fun.
 
Reading an mri brain with total spine can easily suck up way more than 30 minutes of my life.

the question you ask is highly variable depending on the imaging modality and the degree of complexity in a study. I've seen some of the fastest attending mull over a contrast ct abdomen/pelvis for 20 minutes that had crazy findings.