Time limit on Pre-Reqs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medix13

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've heard that some med schools will not accept pre-med science courses if they were taken more than five years ago. Is this true for all schools? I took chemistery in undergraduate seven years ago and would rather not take it again!

Members don't see this ad.

I've heard that some med schools will not accept pre-med science courses if they were taken more than five years ago. Is this true for all schools? I took chemistery in undergraduate seven years ago and would rather not take it again!

If you do a search I promise you this question has been answered multiple times on this board. A minority of schools have a set time limit for prereqs. Most schools will want to see recent success in sciences. Check with the schools you are interested in regarding their preferences.

What have you been doing in the meantime? If you have more recent science coursework (ex. grad school), you may not have to retake courses. I took physics in 1993 and did not have to repeat it based on my graduate record (chemistry) and my MCAT score. I would suggest calling the schools that you're interested in and asking for their advice.

In addition to the excellent posts above, I have heard a decade being the lifetime of pre-reqs. Contact the schools you're interested in and see what they have to say.