Time Line?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Oilsooner

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
When are you guys taking the MCAT/applying to med school?

Summer between Junior and Senior year?

Summer after Senior year?

I see so many topics stating that you should study for the MCAT after your pre reqs are done, and not while taking a large class load, so it got me wondering.....

Members don't see this ad.

I'm in a "do-it-yourself" post-bac, so my situation isn't identical to yours, but I'm taking it after next semester when I finish Physics 2, OChem 2 and BioChem. Applying the month after that.

You don't necessarily need to wait until all of your pre-reqs are done. I've heard that there isn't a significant amount of OChem on the test, and that you can do fine after just taking OChem I. I've also heard that BioChem will help a little. Just make sure you have your Physics and Biology down pat, and don't wait too long from the time you take General Chem 1 & 2.

I just started studying for it. Thus, giving myself about 4 months to prepare.

Posting this question in the non trad forum will get you different responses than the other forums. Many of us are post bacc students. If you don't want a gap year then you would take it before senior year starts and also apply then too. Many people take it in April or May so they can immediately apply and their scores will be released around the same time. Its always wise to apply early but you may find it beneficial to take the summer between Junior and Senior year to review for the MCAT. Then you could take the MCAT and apply towards the end of that summer.