1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Time Need to study

Discussion in 'DAT Discussions' started by smnop, Jul 23, 2006.

1. smnop

smnop Member
    2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    how much time do u guys think is sufficient for studying for the DAT's...hours per day?? how many weeks is enough? I need to know how much i should study before i take it

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. jackbauer!

jackbauer! Guest

Dental Student
    sorry, left the computer logged on at the library.

4. Dr. Yankem

Dr. Yankem Junior Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
  5. Envision

Envision Envisioning...
    7+ Year Member

Dentist
    hey, like the other poster said, it completely depends on you. however, for what its worth, i will tell you my study agenda. basically, ive been studying since the beginning of this month, averaging probably 4-8 hrs a day. I havent touched chemistry or done math without a calculator since the beginning of time...so its taking me a while to bring that up to par. my test date is tentatively august 5, but im thinking of changing it to august 12. all in all, im devoting about 4-8 hours a day for 7 days a week for about 6 weeks. despite what the other poster said, i don't think there is anything wrong with asking for other peoples studying advise. when i first started studying, i was also unsure of how hard i had to study as well. gl to you, and if you have any more specific questions, feel free to ask me. gl.

6. Envision

Envision Envisioning...
    7+ Year Member

Dentist
    relax bro.

7. SundevilDMD

SundevilDMD Sundevil
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Well It all depends on how bad you want to do well. I took my DAT on july 21st, and I started studying about june 5th or 6th and for about the whole month of june i did about 5-6 hours a day. Then starting july I was going about 10 hrs a day. It sucked dont get me wrong. But its all worth it when you do well.

-plus you dont wanna mess this up.

8. smnop

smnop Member
    2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    thanks envision and sundevilDMD...i know i realy don't even know where to begin studying.

9. mbell2

mbell2 Junior Member
    2+ Year Member

daym dawg, you have issues. i really hope you're not in my class in the future. i really don't like people like you.

For smnop: Quite a few people have on average, studied around 2-3 months. i think if you had already taken most of your pre-reqs (gen bio, gchem, and ochem) you should be fine. Take a Kaplan course for review. For me, i had just finished my pre-reqs so i'll be spending around 1-2 months and taking the exam in october. spend some time taking practice exams. dat doesn't have to be tough, just study and practice. i know...easier said than done. good luck.

10. DDS:)

DDS:) Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Really depends on how much you knew from the classes u took, the more u knew, the less u have to study. I studied about a little more than 3 weeks, 6-8 hours a day.

11. '11

'11 Member
    2+ Year Member

there is one thing i need to tell you:
    dat is all about memo and if you took ur classes very recently and u remember the details, i would say 2-3 weeks is fine
    misfortunate people like me took their preqs years ago and dont remember ****, so i need to put more time in remembering stuff
    best of luck
    '11